looking for first BCD...thoughts on this?...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’ll keep looking at various options, but I appreciate the input so far!!! The i3 is probably out of the running now, so does anyone have anything specific to say about the Tusa??
Just to point out - were you attracted to the Axiom i3 because you liked the Axiom, or because you liked the i3?
Easy enough to get an Axiom that does not include an i3. It is not a modification, it is a different production model. (I dive an Axiom locally for my cold water dives.)

so does anyone have anything specific to say about the Tusa??
Solely from reading the ad - I don't see anything wrong with it. The weight integration looks like it clips in so you wont have problems like the velcro only systems do later. It's 500 denier nylon which is a step up from the 210 some entrly level models use. I might like one more dump - it's not clear what they're calling the OPV but it;s probably the inflator pull dump which means you vent that one while vertical and the single bottom dump while horizontal - many bc's have 3 - a few have 4.. Or use the inflator to vent verticaly.

I've had their fins for a decade - happy with the quality.

You might look at Zeagle's Base model also - I believe it sells for around that price.

Where are you in CA? there's a few good shops you might stop by also - Scuba.com in the OC - Bamboo Reef in the Bay area. I'd personally want to check the fit on a BC.

The last time I was on s SoCal boat a lot of us were diving Zeagle back-inflate. For me, I like not being squeezed by a jacket. But a good one is a lot more money - I've got about $800 in my Ranger LTD and they're more now.

You can get the AL Axiom BC withOUT the i3 if you otherwise like the BC. Should be about $100 less without i3.

The Tusa has been the main BCD I’ve been using since starting. My LDS uses them as their rental gear and I used it from certification until now. It works. Weight system is solid and has positive engagement and easy release when needed. Inflator works well too. I personally am not a fan of jacket style bcd’s so when it comes to buying I’ve been looking at back inflate style vests. But if you can find a great deal on the Tusa I have nothing bad at all to say about it.

If the majority of your diving will be done internationally, consider one that fold compactly to travel.

I know you are no longer looking, but I own the Liberator II. It is a good workhorse BCD. Lots of room for storing things and the weight integration works well. I have about 60 dives on it. I bought mine right after finishing my OWD cert and unfortunately bought a medium. I am 5'8" and 160 and a small would be a better fit. Because of this I am looking at other options. My wife has the back inflate Tusa Selene which she loves and works well so I am looking at back inflate now as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom