Looking for Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You're part of the best (IMO) scuba review sites available! Personally, I have a set of Mares Volos, which are ok, but I may switch to Mares Quattros sometime in the future. I tried some Quattros recently, and I liked the "feel" I had in the water. My best advice is to borrow/rent different types (probably start with a pair of paddle fins and a pair of split fins). What works for one diver won't necessarily work with another!

You'll find lots of discussions on this topic if you'll look a bit. I prefer Lightning Jet Fins.

I have the aqualung Blades II and the Scubapro Twinjet (split fins). The former are certainly powerful, but they kill your calf muscles if you are going to swim a long way in them, and they are a little cumbersome if you are on a shallow reef. The splits are a good all round fin. I have no trouble keeping up with anyone, and they are much easier on the legs... also a little shorter for packing (and walking/shuffling across the deck!). make sure anything you buy is negatively boyant (or neutral, I guess) and is stiff enough to give you some speed if you want it (twinjets come in three media: the only ones I like are the black ones as they are the least flexible).

Norboo:
What some good open heel fins on the market?

Is there any good scuba review sites?

This certainly can be a complicated topic, but it also should be tempered by personal preference. There's nothing like trying out different styles and seeing what works best for you.

Do you prefer the stiffer fins (like the Jet Fin)? Split fins? Softer fins? Do you wear rock boots (you'll need an extra-wide boot on the fin)? Do you like your fins heavier or lighter?

Just try out different styles and see what works best. Personally, I'm a fan of my trusty, old-fashioned ScubaPro Jet Fins (simple design, stiff, powerful), and when I'm using my drysuit and rock boots, I need the Turtle fins (just like the Jet Fins, but wide enough to fit on the rock boot).

Back
Top Bottom