Looking for experienced opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thalassamania:
I like using my 85mm/f1.8 for fish portraits, the longer range of the lens might be fun there. Can I get a housing with zoom controls? Can I get a flat port that will handle the lens? I’d guess a dome and diaopters is kind of out of the question.

I am also in the process of making the swap to DSLR so I am only learning now.

The crop factor needs to be kept in mind when using our old lenses on the small sensor digitals.
The 85mm on a D200 would perform like a 130mm on a 35mm SLR. It also affects the fstop but I am not sure how.
So the Nikon 60mm macro would give you almost exactly the same as your 85mm you are using today.
The lenses for the Nikons that seem to be favorite for underwater use are 60mm micro 105mm AF-S VR, 10.5 fisheye. Sigma 17 70 zoom seems popular with some when they are diving a site with no clear intent.

So much to learn before bending that credit card :confused: :confused: :confused:

frankc420:
Not trying to hijack the OP's thread, but rather than opening another one, since I'm in the same boat, I'd like to ask a question.

I've found someone selling a Oly SP-350 for $160, and I've found the Oly housing for $180. And I've found a 2GB Type H xD card for $55. Would I be stupid to pass this up? I could care less about taking topside photos, I just want this as an UW rig. I'm going to Key Largo at the end of May and want something w/o using a strobe that I can take photos with...

The above setup shipped etc would be about $420.

Yes! You could flog that here or on ebay for an immediate profit.

Here's a link to the Photos of the Week from John Moore's San Diego DiveBums site:

http://week.divebums.com/2007/Apr09-2007/

Scroll down the page and look at the photos and cameras. Toward the bottom, you'll see my effort with a Flabellina iodinea (Spanish Shawl).

Cheers,

Ian Wilson

victor:
I am also in the process of making the swap to DSLR so I am only learning now.

The crop factor needs to be kept in mind when using our old lenses on the small sensor digitals.
The 85mm on a D200 would perform like a 130mm on a 35mm SLR. It also affects the fstop but I am not sure how.
So the Nikon 60mm macro would give you almost exactly the same as your 85mm you are using today.
The lenses for the Nikons that seem to be favorite for underwater use are 60mm micro 105mm AF-S VR, 10.5 fisheye. Sigma 17 70 zoom seems popular with some when they are diving a site with no clear intent.

So much to learn before bending that credit card :confused: :confused: :confused:
Bear with me … crop factor? I am assuming that the sensor is not the same size as film and that “concentrates” a fraction of the center of the image making the lens effectively longer? Is that the case? BTW: that would raise the f/stop which is just the ratio of the aperture to the focal length.

Thalassamania:
..........Is that the case? BTW: that would raise the f/stop which is just the ratio of the aperture to the focal length.

would the focal length change? or would the distance between the lens and the capture media (film or sensor )remain constant regardless of sensor size............

azcaddman:
take a look at the topics here for a starting point.

specificaly this one for the focal length issue.
Thanks.
bobf:
would the focal length change? or would the distance between the lens and the capture media (film or sensor )remain constant regardless of sensor size............
The lens only focuses at a set distance, so the actual focal length can’t change. What I assume is going on is that the sensor is smaller than a film frame and so it spreads it’s pixels across a some fraction of the area that the film would have covered. That’s less light falling on the media (sensor) thus an effectively higher focal length, f/stop and depth of field (due to the more parallel light rays).

Thalassamania:
OK, I get a D200 for about $800 and I can use the really fine glass that I already have.

I have a Nikon D200 (that I'm not taking UW btw), I doubt you can get one for $800 though. You might find a used D80 for about $800. I'm not sure if there are any UW housings for the D40 or not but this would seem to be a great DSLR for UW use IMO.

I'm looking at a Fuji F31fd or F30, its a 6mp P&S with high ISO noise levels nearly compareable to DSLR's and Fuji's housing WP-FXF30. This combo can be had for about $400 and my D200 and lenses will stay safely dry while its UW, I guess I'm just too afraid of a flood.

Here is the Fuji F31fd @800 ISO compared to a Nikon D50 which is one of Nikon's better DSLR's at high ISO: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilmf31fd/page15.asp

Read the whole review, for a P&S its an amazing camera. With its larger sensor and 6mp resolution (more than enough IMO), no other digicams in its class compare above ISO 200.

Offroad:
I have a Nikon D200 (that I'm not taking UW btw), I doubt you can get one for $800 though. You might find a used D80 for about $800. I'm not sure if there are any UW housings for the D40 or not but this would seem to be a great DSLR for UWuse IMO.

D200 for $699.00

Am I missing something concerning this deal?

The D40 is cheaper ($339 w/o lens), but it has lower resolution. IKELIGHT makes a housing (though I rather perfer the feel of a metal housing) and I suspect other housings will follow soon.

Is there a reason that I should consider the D40 except for the price? After all, by the time you add housing, ports and a couple of strobes what's $361?

Thalassamania:
D200 for $699.00

Am I missing something concerning this deal?

The D40 is cheaper ($339 w/o lens), but it has lower resolution. IKELIGHT makes a housing (though I rather perfer the feel of a metal housing) and I suspect other housings will follow soon.

Is there a reason that I should consider the D40 except for the price? After all, by the time you add housing, ports and a couple of strobes what's $361?

Buyer beware. Always do a search to check out "reviews" of such places. Often times you will come up with interesting results such as this:

http://www.epinions.com/msg/show_~threads/cat_id_~22/id_~6938/forum_id_~145

This is probably a bait and switch situation, or they don't include things like batteries, charger, manual, etc, or they will only ship if you buy over-inflated accessories. I would run away quickly from this "deal".

To me the biggest issue with the Point & Shoots is shutter lag. I know it is getting better but that would drive me crazy. For DSLRs they are all getting so good it really comes down to what are you willing to spend and do you have any existing lenses. Really $6000 just gets you started. Once you start adding "specialty lenses", back up bodies, extra strobes, focus lights, Photoshop, backup hard drives, Pelican cases, 12Gig CF cards, the price can really climb.

Like many I am a rank amateur but have gotten a lot of great help here. Also shooting the Nikon D200. Got a lot of advice on gear from some very experienced/published folks. For lenses most shy away from the big zooms due to picture quality. I have the 18-200 for dryland but never used it underwater and don't know anyone that has. For Nikon some of the most popular are: 60mm, 105mm, 10.5mm, 16mm, 17-35mm, 17-55mm, 12-24mm, 10-17mm Tokina. One of the disadvantages with DSLR is you don’t have the flexibility the Point & Shoots have.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom