Looking for everything in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Living on the island, I would highly suggest Harbor Village, or contact one of the realty businesses to see about renting a house on the water. Also, The majority of the shore diving sites have boat moorings, so they can be boat dives through a dive shop. You should have no problem. Even if you rent a local house the realty company can hook you up with a car rental and dive shop.

I'm not going to go into it...but if your significant other does NOT do a lot of dives, there is a decent amount of stuff to do on Bonaire...it's just that the avid divers DON'T look for it.

I'm working on that one.....Liz

Don't let people discourage you from boat diving on Bonaire if that's what you want to do. Yes there is lots of great shore diving and that's why many folks go there. But if you prefer boats, the boats are there. We prefer the ease of hopping on a boat at the dock over hauling gear all over the place. When we are there we do all boat dives and shore dives from where we are staying. I think we did 2-4 shore dives outside the hotel on our first trip to Bonaire, and haven't since. I know many will think that's nuts, but it's our preference. Nice thing is, boat dives are cheaper in Bonaire than most places.

rdwhahb:
Waterskier, I heard that there was a water taxi to Klein. I believe that it left from town and made hourly trips for $15. I never did get to confirm that though.

There is a water taxi, Kantika di Amor Daily Regular Departures from Bonaire Nautico Marina to Klein Bonaire
( also for drift snorkel)
10:00 - 12:00 - 14:00 - 16:00 hrs.

Sundays: One departure from Bonaire Nautico Marina 10:00 hr. via Resorts. (other times minimum 4 persons. subject to reservation & availability)

Return times from Klein Bonaire
12:30 - 14.:30 - 16:30 hrs.
(Sundays 16:30 hr. via resorts to Bonaire Nautico Marina)

Daily sunset trips ( 17:00 or 17:30 hr.)
evening cruises, subject to availability and 24 hrs. notice.

I often see him stopping at the resorts so you may be able to arrange a pick up. The rate is $14. A great way to spend your dry day is to get Henk to drop you at Ebo's and drift snorkel down to No Name Beach for $16.

My Bonaire experience is limited to Capt Don's Habitat (twice) but since it
wasn't mentioned by other responders, and it might fit your needs,
I'll speak up. Take a look at it.
http://www.habitatdiveresorts.com/bonaire/index.html

My wife also can't deal with the physical demands of shore diving.
The house reef - "Baby dock" [sic] lets you do a giant stride in, sturdy wide
stairs out from a sandy bottom. It's about 100 feet from the gear lockers
(bring a lock) on the same level, with a bench next to the entry. So is the
boat "Papa dock". It's not going to get much less strenuous unless somebody
else does your diving for you.:14:

We've gotten packages that have one boat dive/day, plus unlimited tanks.
The three boats per day usually offer a choice of north, south, and klein.
There are numerous divesites in each direction, so plenty of choices.
Mix in a few shore dives (the usual thing is to rent a short-bed dual-cab
pickup - which you'll want to get to town and restuarants, and to do a
little sightseeing) and you get it all.

You can also buy more boat dives a la carte if you get tired of the house
reef and don't want a shore entry. We never needed to.

As far as sunsets, one of our stays we rented one of the villas just north
of the dock/dive center. Nothing between you and Klein Bonaire (west)
except a few feet of land and 2 Km of channel. There's a limited number
of them available, but they aren't that much more expensive than
the other accomodations. We also snorkeled off the very narrow, somewhat
rocky beach adjacent to our villa.

waynel:
No, my wife doesn't need or want long walks along the beach. When she hits the beach it's to lay out and not move.

if she wants to veg on the beach, it had better be with a beach chair, because those beaches are ROCKY!

it's not that Bonaire doesn't have boat diving--it definitely does. It's just that boat diving on Bonaire is going to take you to the same sites you can get to from shore--for the most part.

If you want to do some spectacular boat diving with her, check out Larry's wildside diving. I've not actually gone with them (yet!) but the pics on their website sure are great :)

waynel:
So, these posts look encouraging except for ScubaJW's post that Bonaire isn't right for boat diving. Is that because there are no deep dive sites there, or nothing worth seeing at 90 ft.?

also--you can get to 90ft on a shore dive in Bonaire. You can get to below 130ft on a shore dive in Bonaire, actually! Very easily, actually.

There is definitely cool stuff to see at 90ft (and below), depending on the site.

akscuba:
if she wants to veg on the beach, it had better be with a beach chair, because those beaches are ROCKY!

it's not that Bonaire doesn't have boat diving--it definitely does. It's just that boat diving on Bonaire is going to take you to the same sites you can get to from shore--for the most part.

If you want to do some spectacular boat diving with her, check out Larry's wildside diving. I've not actually gone with them (yet!) but the pics on their website sure are great :)
Can't agree with you, akscuba.

The beach at Eden is quite nice and well kept(check the web cams). Several people lay down towels on the sand and relax. Lounge chairs are available and Bongo's Bar has food and drink and some great people to meet. Many folks enjoy sunbathing there while enjoying the view or a good book. Best time of day there is during the sunsets with a cool drink IMO. I hear Plaza has a nice beach, though I have no first hand knowledge.

Some excellent boat diving at Klien(Knife, Southwest Corner, Forest, Joanne's Sunchi, Ebo's Special to name a few) and the northern sites not accessable from shore(Rappel, Country Garden for example).

I do agree the east side is a blast, but I do it from shore with Bas(DM and guide and great fun). Have met Larry but not taken his boat out, although many have and enjoyed it.

M2C

Jet

The Plaza does have a nice beach. Their house reef is the 18th Palm. Nice shore dive with lots to see.

Eden does have a dive spot; Eden's Rubble. My buddy & I dove there in early March; we dove the wreck of the Bakanal (? spelling).

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom