Looking for Dive Master Training/Internship abroad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deepmike

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi peeps,

Joined this forums as I'm looking for advise on places in the world where I could go and do my PADI DiveMaster course. I've considered Thailand and Bali and the Caribbean, and at the moment the Caribbean is coming out top as I've not visited there before and have the others.

I'm looking for somewhere that I can join in with the helping with other students as many interns will but as a business owner with many employees that I treat fairly I will not tolerate a company that treats me like a slave and wants me washing up! As I have heard that this happens at some places. I wouldn't last one day around them type of people as I know many of you guys would not either.

I'm also open to suggestions on other locals around the world where requiring a visa is not to much trouble either. I'm a British national so don't have too much problems with visa applications.

Thanks in advance for any help that comes my way.

Deep Mike

If you consider the Red Sea as a destination then there are lots of places in Sharm Al Sheikh Egypt that offer this. As a matter of fact, my brother did his Dive Master course and a month internship at one of the dive centers there. Its a high density dive tourist destination so you will work quite hard and be very busy.

Mike, there are indeed many places in the world, but the Caribbean may turn out to be the best and easiest for you. Cozumel, Mexico is considered by pretty much everyone to be one of the best places in the world to dive. Additionally, Cozumel is close to the US, and has all of the first world comforts that you are probablly used to. There are several places to do your Divemaster training here in Cozumel: GoPRO Blue Magic (www.divemasterinternship.org) is the best.

Mike, this is shameless self promotion on my part as I am a principal of Blue Magic.

Blue Magic Scuba's Divemaster Internship program is THE best place to do your training. In fact, we are the only Cozumel Divemaster Internship program from a real dive shop, let alone at a PADI 5 Star IDC Center. The crystal clear Blue Magic waters of the Caribbean offer, in addition to the great diving, an ideal location for training. Cozumel sits at the beginning the Great Mesoamerican barrier reef, the second largest reef system in the world. With clear water offering typical visibility of over 100 ft. (30 meter) and 100’s of species of corals, sponges, fishes and other marine life, one never gets bored diving here.
Blue Magic’s Divemaster Internship Program is a complete package. Training, Accommodation and Experience, Our training is second to none. Jim Hutchinson, our PADI Course Director oversees all aspects of our training program. Unlike other programs, we limit the number of trainees to ensure that each and every one receives the personalized hands-on training that has earned Blue Magic our reputation as simply the best PADI Divemaster training program in all of the Mayan Riviera! Not only that, we are the ONLY Divemaster intersnship program that does NOT limit the number of dives you can do. With smaller, more intimate groups of trainees and an ever expanding pool of students and certified divers, Blue Magic is your place to not only get certified as a PADI Divemaster, but to really become a well-rounded and experienced PADI Divemaster! Additionally, we offer a "dive free for life" program for all our Divemaster trainees. more info at www.divemasterinternship.org

Mike - here's a post I put in another thread on this topic a few weeks ago...

---------------------------------------------
Not a week goes by here on SB where someone doesn't come along and ask "Where should I do a DM internship program?"

Of course this will be met by advocates of two schools of thought:
1.) Tropical DM internships are wonderful
2.) Tropical DM internships are the fourth sign of the apocalypse

So, how is a prospective DM intern to know what they are getting into? Of course no program is going to tell someone "Well, truth be told, we turn out pretty crappy DMs and Instructors at the end of the day."

However, I have recently noticed that a great many internship programs are more than happy to post pictures of their daily activities on social media. So it would seem that a prospective DM candidate might get a pretty good, unfiltered, take on the quality of DMs that a program turns out by checking out a program's FaceBook page, Twitter feed, Instagram account, etc. Take a look at what you see and ask yourself "Is this the type of DM I'm hoping to become?" and "Would I hire any of the DM's I see in the photos?"

One such facility likes to send multiple Twitter updates out each day. Here we see DMC practicing skills earlier this week. Including skills that have been discontinued more than a year ago. In the photos with multiple people, you'll have to decide for yourself who the non-divers, DMC's and instructors are... as it will not be obvious from observing them.

DM_Internship2.png

Here's a different program, though it seems to be run by instructors who were graduates of the program shown above...

DM_internship10_CANCUN.JPG

At least he was able to spring into action when both of his DMC's had a bit of a hiccup during the alternate air source skill...

DM_internship24.JPG

As a DM Candidate, you'll want to pay attention to social media post, such as the one from this central american program - that will help you determine whether you'll get the individual 1-on-1 attention that you expect...

DM_internship20.JPG

You can also tell a lot about a tropical internship program by seeing what skills they emphasize in their social media posts. Take this program in Mexico, for example...

DM_internship18.JPG

DM_internship19.JPG

DM_internship17.JPG

The facilities are important as well. Social media posts will allow prospective candidates to assess important parameters such as whether the program's Beer Pong table is regulation height...

DM_internship25.JPG

Many facilities offer not just DM internships, but the chance to move on to their IDC internship as well. If you complete that, the facility will surely post a "graduation photo" of your class, showing all the new instructor candidates who are now ready to take their IE, like this Thailand-based program...

DM_internship21.JPG

Once you're an instructor, you might want to get instructor ratings for a few specialty courses while you're at the tropical internship facility. Here's one conducting what I can only assume is a "Search & Destroy" distinctive specialty, although the caption on the FB page of this Caribbean program said it was new instructors doing their Search & Recovery training...

DM_internship23.JPG

This ironic series - from a popular zero-to-hero program in SE Asia - appears to show OW-to-DM candidates patiently waiting their turn to complete the skills circuit for their PPB class... completing the circuit... and then settling back down to the bottom as their instructor looks on, proudly.

Bouyancy2.JPG

And, if you really want to go all the way in your tropical training, many programs even offer the opportunity to bang out a bunch of certs in a week or two and then become a Master Scuba Diver Trainer and even move on to IDC Staff Instructor training. Here's one picture posted by a facility with a caption indicating that these are Staff Instructor Candidates practicing skills. Again, you'll need to determine for yourself which divers are MSDT's, IDC Staff Instructors, and Course Directors...

IDC_Staff.JPG

All joking aside, there is no joking in the photos above. They were all pulled from recent social media posts put up by multiple DM/Instructor internship programs... depicting their DMC's, DMs, Instructors, MSDTs, IDC Staff candidates, and Course Directors in action. Though it should be noted that several programs had no pictures of divers in action on their FB or Twitter feeds... unless you count hundreds of photos of blonde bikini and boardshort clad interns doing shots, playing frisbee, and riding mopeds around town to be "action shots" of prospective dive pros.

So, again, if you are interested in pursuing a DM/IDC internship (especially one that goes from OW-Instructor) I would encourage you to take a look at the social media properties of any program you are considering. Take a look at what you see there and ask yourself "Is this the level of dive skill I aspire to?" and "Is this the type of DM/Instructor I'm hoping to become?" and "Would I hire any of the DMs/Instructors I see in the photos?" Be sure you are comfortable with your answer to those questions before you decide to move forward.

RJP,

first, LOL regarding beer pong table height!! this one is surely NOT within standards.

You are so correct about the differences between the training received at the various dive shops. Although the training and the experience as a whole should be fun, the fun should not be "the thing" and if "the fun" is just more and more alcohol there is indeed a serious disconnect. Alcohol and diving just are not a good mix. While we here at GoPRO Blue Magic do our best to have fun, and we do, getting as drunk as possible is NOT what we do, we leave that to the others, while we train our candidates to be the best divemasters.

Thanx again!

I don't know if you have checked into options in OZ but there are people who consider diving The Great Barrier Reef can actually match Cozumel, Mexico :giggle: The Occupational Safety and Worker's Rights in OZ are pretty well of a first world standard. Getting "working holiday" visas here for Brits don't seem to be too difficult from what I have heard.

Anyway Welcome to SB and I wish you luck on your endeavors.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom