Looking for Dive Buddy Jersey Shore around Belmar Area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shark River can be a great dive; there are restrictions between Memorial Day & Labor Day on the inlet. I've always entered at the Ocean Ave bridge. Most divers seem to prefer entering on the south side of the bridge. I think the rocks are an easier climb there, but that may have changed in the years since I dove there.

The trick is to enter the water 20 mins before high tide. The tide pulls you inland. Than you get about 20 minutes of slack. Then the current changes and you get a 20 minute ride back to your entry point. And the current really moves. You want to pay attention.

You must have a dive flag; the bridge-keepers and CG will are looking and a few divers have gotten nailed. Unfortunately, the dive flag won't protect you from fishermen, who don't seem to care. You're not supposed to go anywhere into the center of the river, you're supposed to stay close to the rocks.

The local dive shop, Divers Two, has organized trips to the "back bay" on a regular basis. I don't believe there is any charge to go with them. I've never done the back bay, but other divers that have done it say it is a wonderful dive. There's a lot of breeding going on back there so lots of aquatic life to see.

Here's a link to a local dive website with Shark River Regulations & tips

I enjoy Shark River - and Round Valley Reservoir is nice too - but you need a buddy. Deep clear water, a practice platform and much cheaper and closer than Dutch - my 2 cents.

Late notice but will be in the area tomorrow 6/7 - if interested - thinking of Allenhurst Jetty or L Street. High tide is around 3pm I think...

I enjoy Shark River - and Round Valley Reservoir is nice too - but you need a buddy. Deep clear water, a practice platform and much cheaper and closer than Dutch - my 2 cents.

I nearly drowned at Round once. That's a long story and probably the reason that I avoid it like the plague. Isn't there a mythical town sunk beneath the water? Or just Jersey lore?

No it is real. But the homes were bulldozed prior to filling in with water - they say you can see some of the streets and basements. Lore came from quite a few fishermen who have drowned in the reservoir - most it is assumed fell out of their boats and due to the cold water did not make it... or the Jersey Lore is more fun to believe...

Round Valley has an eerie aspect. A large number of people have disappeared into its depths, nearly 200 feet in places. Many drowning victims there never surface because the normal processes of putrefaction do not occur in the lake's deepest spots, which are close to freezing year round. A few drowned fisherman have been recovered after being submerged for many years. One individual was still recognizable after almost 20 years because of the extreme cold and lack of oxygen at the reservoir's bottom. A state trooper told me that quite a few of the fishermen who are recovered from shallower areas have their pants down around their ankles, suggesting that they lost their balance and fell into the icy waters while relieving themselves.

Good morning Jesus!

On the plus side, the water from this reservoir has a peculiarly sharp and bracing flavor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom