looking for compressor advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love my portable Bauer, I dive on air 80% of the time and have save $$ on fills after the first year of ownership. Call Bauer (or any other manufacturer) directly and they will be more than happy to give dealer information.

daniel f aleman:
I love my portable Bauer, I dive on air 80% of the time and have save $$ on fills after the first year of ownership. Call Bauer (or any other manufacturer) directly and they will be more than happy to give dealer information.

Just curious... what does it cost you to run it? (not really just gas or electric costs but maintenance costs, filters, etc and how many fills is that cost spread out over...).

daniel f aleman:
I ... have save $$ on fills after the first year of ownership.
I'd like to see your books :)
Considering original cost of the compressor, filters, oil, fuel & maintenence, my fills are still running just about double what they would at a shop, and I've had mine a decade. The only "savings" is in the convenience of not having to go to the shop - that's considerable if you're several miles offshore or way back in the woods.
Rick

I have hand packed towers on my compressor and buy carbon and sieve in bulk, It's way cheaper than cartridges.

It's about $1.00/fill if you buy cartridges. Forty tanks from a $40 ctg (admittedly varies). For hand packed cartridges it is about $0.25 per fill. It is near impossible to analyze the cost benefit ratio of compressors. The individual situation varies too much. A dive club purchase of a compressor, lightly used and priced right, can save money, sometimes a lot of money. I bought a new Capitano in 1974, for $1500. It has saved me some money and a whole lot of headaches. You can have it from my cold, dead hands. The versatility bestowed by owning a compressor is wonderful. Topping off, odd number and sizes of tanks, no problem, portable utility tanks for air tools, no problem. Sunday fill, midnight fill, no problem. Long run to the LDS, no problem---you're home before you know it, probably because you never left. No current inspection? No problemo, jerk the valve and stick in a light. Fill that sucker. However, the real benefits come in blending Nitrox, but like any operation which is revolving on a capital investment, the savings come in volume. If you need only a couple fills per year or do a lot of travel/ resort diving you may not require a compressor. However, if you are an active diver, dive in the boonies, dive from a private boat, dive with a lot of buddies, you may want to consider a compressor.

As a scientific diver for the University of Washington I have had the privaledge or nightmare of using most of the common portable scuba compressors available.

For my use I would prefer the largest compressor you could possibly move. If that meant leaving it in the bed of a pickup truck because its too heavy to lift out so I could get 8 or 9 true CFM of air that's the way I would go.

If you really need one you can lift then I would suggest the Rixx SA6. While it's not actually 6 CFM that it pumps it is comparably very light and extremely easy for just about anyone to maintain. The other great advantage is that it's oiless so if you choose to blend nitrox with it ( I have blended hundreds of tanks of nitrox with one) it works great.

The downside to any small compressor is the amount of time it takes to actually refill a tank. Be prepared to spend lots of time standing by the compressor ready to drain the water from it etc.

I also recommend keeping a detailed log of fills, repairs etc. Time the fills so you can tell when the compressor need servicing and think about adding pressure guages to each stage so you can tell when and where the problems are as soon at they begin.

Repairs to Bauer Junior/Utilus I0 compressors are time and use dependant. The 2nd and 3rd stage valves are encapsulated. The spring and valve are replaced as a unit. Failure of the valves occurs and is usually the result of corrosion, not hours pumping time. Rarely, a valve spring breaks. With a set of metric tools, small torque wrench and gun smith's screwdrivers, repairs are fairly easy and no one will even know, heh. Cost of new valves is probably about $150---correct me if wrong. They last 7-8 years. Run the compressor under no load for 10 seconds after the last tank is filled and they will last 15 years. Pay no attention to the clatter of the third stage piston, the compressor is really tough. Generally, logs are probably not much use but they are fun to read for a gear head and for resale. Install an hour meter---- and record data on a tag affixed to the compressor when the filter and pump oil are changed. Change the engine oil at the same time. Make a note in the manual when major service is performed. If you fill more than six tanks/day, share duty stints or find a big, old military surplus compressor to carry in your pickup. The RIX SA-6 is surplused for about $1500. There are a couple up on govt auction right now. The Davey 15 cfm units are diesel driven and available for little money. The late model units are 4000 psi, older ones rated 3500psi. Close enough for government work. Numerous Bauer units, various sizes, show up on auction. They are a little scarce right now but will probably show up soon enough.

Seadiver5:
As a scientific diver for the University of Washington I have had the privaledge or nightmare of using most of the common portable scuba compressors available.

For my use I would prefer the largest compressor you could possibly move. If that meant leaving it in the bed of a pickup truck because its too heavy to lift out so I could get 8 or 9 true CFM of air that's the way I would go.

If you really need one you can lift then I would suggest the Rixx SA6. While it's not actually 6 CFM that it pumps it is comparably very light and extremely easy for just about anyone to maintain. The other great advantage is that it's oiless so if you choose to blend nitrox with it ( I have blended hundreds of tanks of nitrox with one) it works great.

The downside to any small compressor is the amount of time it takes to actually refill a tank. Be prepared to spend lots of time standing by the compressor ready to drain the water from it etc.

I also recommend keeping a detailed log of fills, repairs etc. Time the fills so you can tell when the compressor need servicing and think about adding pressure guages to each stage so you can tell when and where the problems are as soon at they begin.

What has your experience been with the bauer units? I'm looking at the oceanus model. If I go the continous mixing route I'm not concerned with needing oilless for the nitrox aspect. Is your recommendation for the larger unit primarily to shorten fill time? Have you had less maintainence issues with the Rixx? Thanks.

pescador775:
Repairs to Bauer Junior/Utilus I0 compressors are time and use dependant. The 2nd and 3rd stage valves are encapsulated. The spring and valve are replaced as a unit. Failure of the valves occurs and is usually the result of corrosion, not hours pumping time. Rarely, a valve spring breaks. With a set of metric tools, small torque wrench and gun smith's screwdrivers, repairs are fairly easy and no one will even know, heh. Cost of new valves is probably about $150---correct me if wrong. They last 7-8 years. Run the compressor under no load for 10 seconds after the last tank is filled and they will last 15 years. Pay no attention to the clatter of the third stage piston, the compressor is really tough. Generally, logs are probably not much use but they are fun to read for a gear head and for resale. Install an hour meter---- and record data on a tag affixed to the compressor when the filter and pump oil are changed. Change the engine oil at the same time. Make a note in the manual when major service is performed. If you fill more than six tanks/day, share duty stints or find a big, old military surplus compressor to carry in your pickup. The RIX SA-6 is surplused for about $1500. There are a couple up on govt auction right now. The Davey 15 cfm units are diesel driven and available for little money. The late model units are 4000 psi, older ones rated 3500psi. Close enough for government work. Numerous Bauer units, various sizes, show up on auction. They are a little scarce right now but will probably show up soon enough.

Pescador,
Are you saying the valves last 7-8 years or typical compressor life is 7-8 years? In your opinion, are there any significant drawbacks or advantages to the bauer vs rix?
Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom