looking for compressor advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dab

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I am planning on purchasing a compressor for home use. I am desireous of having something that is portable, however I would like it to be as versatile as possible. Most of my diving is in the Great Lakes, and I would like to be able to take it to some remote locations. I dive mostly with doubles, currently do not do my own mixing, but may in the future. I am looking for help from experienced compressor owners out there who can comment on the following:
1. Gas or electric? I do have a yamaha 2500 generator that is pretty portable. In the long run, for home use am I better to stay with a single phase electric motor and take a generator on the road, or would a gas engine be more practical?
2. Size -- is something in the mid 4 scf/m sufficient or should I consider something bigger and loose some portability
I realize that there are going to sacrifices, either on the partability side or home use side. I am trying to get the right balance. The main reason for the purchase is the portability issue, I have my own boat and just need the air access at times. But, that said, if I am going to get one I would like to get a lot of use out of it at home, possibly for nitrox and he mixing down the road. Any opinions or help out there? Thanks in advance.

Your own boat...
You gonna take a generator *and* compressor on the boat?
I think you want gas power.
Other than that, I'd go look at 'em and get the biggest thing that suits my definition of "portable." Mine's a little 3 CFM and it's plenty heavy for this old bod :)
Rick

dab:
1. Gas or electric? I do have a yamaha 2500 generator that is pretty portable. In the long run, for home use am I better to stay with a single phase electric motor and take a generator on the road, or would a gas engine be more practical?

I'm no compressor expert by any means, but most of the smaller ones I've
seen that are electric are 30amp 220v single phase.

I don't think a 2500watt generator will be able to run it.....

2500 watts @ 115-120volts is only about 21-22 amps.

to get 30amps at 220volts, you'll want a minimum of 6600 watts. (continous)
The compressor startup will definately surge the generator, so I'm
guessing you'd need a larger one to run it effciently.

Rick Murchison:
Your own boat...
You gonna take a generator *and* compressor on the boat?
I think you want gas power.
Other than that, I'd go look at 'em and get the biggest thing that suits my definition of "portable." Mine's a little 3 CFM and it's plenty heavy for this old bod :)
Rick

I can carry enough tanks on board, the compressor will be used to refill for the next day. But we may need to fill a couple sets of doubles and a few singles in the evening.

daniel f aleman:
Bauer Compressors

I have an Oceanus, Gasoline. The Junior II Gasoline may fit your needs.

How happy have you been with your unit? Any problems? Would you buy the same unit again? Thanks.

I used a gas powered compressor for about 2 years & liked it a lot. For portability it was the best. Check out www.americanairworks.com . I bought the 5cfm model, wanted a little more speed than the small compressors. It would run for about 2 hours on a tank of gas & would fill about 10 alum. 80's in that time. Another place to look at is www.nuvair.com , got my newest compressor through them.

Scuba Cowboy:
I used a gas powered compressor for about 2 years & liked it a lot. For portability it was the best. Check out www.americanairworks.com . I bought the 5cfm model, wanted a little more speed than the small compressors. It would run for about 2 hours on a tank of gas & would fill about 10 alum. 80's in that time. Another place to look at is www.nuvair.com , got my newest compressor through them.

Thanks.

Can anyone recommend good sources for Bauer compressors? I have already talked to Breathing air specialties in Ohio. Any other sources for good prices?

Back
Top Bottom