Looking for Caribbean recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well my wife and I had this thing that in each port we would hop on a taxi first thing in the AM and hit the nicest beach on the island. We'd be back by lunch and then walk around the port/touristy shops. For me, St Maarten has the most sites. I'm a bit biased as I've been there oh 10 times over the past 15 years. Check out Orient Beach, Marigot for a little taste of Paris (well sort of), Happy Bay (15 minute hike to a semi private beach overlooking Anguilla) and if you are adventurous take a ferry out of Marigot to Anguilla for a few hours. I also liked St Lucia and Barbados for stuff to do. Renting a car and driving around these islands is fun, with a few stops at the nicer beaches. St Kitts is small - zzzzzzzz. Antigua, well the port and town are a bit run down. Nice beaches but that's about it. I'd pick St Maarten and St Lucia for diving. My 2 cents.

A dive buddy of mine is thinking about flying in to St Maarten so we could both dive there. I don't think i would have enough time to dive and check the island out. If it is as good as you say topside, I would have to go back at some point!

The Scuba Shop and Ocean Explorers are the 2 dive shops on Simpson Bay that I've been in to shop and I've heard good things about both. Google them and check each out. They are about a 10 minute drive from the cruise port but may pick you up. St Maarten is a happening island as it is split by the Dutch and French. Haven't been there in 4 years due to the higher prices and hurricanes. Unfortunately I have not had a chance to dive the island but have been to every beach to snorkel. Not much reef/fish life off the beaches hence you will need to do a boat dive. Also Phillipsburg is the port city and full of touristy shops including a million jewelry stores. PS - I grew up going to Barbados almost every year and although I have found memories of that island I still prefer SMX. Note that the last 3 years my wife and I have been to Bonaire and Curacao multiple times. Great shore diving on either island. Bonaire is truly a diver's island. If you get a chance down the road check out Curacao or Bonaire. Each is a cruise destination.

Back
Top Bottom