looking for camera advise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonahfab

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have been diving for a few years, and am now looking to get into photography. I have been looking at digital cameras and to be truthful the whole thing has been giving me a headache. I have been reading the board for awhile now, and with all the glowing reviews I think I am going to go with the c5050 and the pt-015. My question is do I need any kind of lens filter to make it work better underwater, or is it all internal settings that need to be adjusted. I can use any help offered to make my final decision.
thanks in advance

My two cents to share with you is from my own experience. Start out with a camera and housing. Learn about the camera and all of its settings, and there are many. It can be overwhelming if you try an get too many accessories at the start. A good place to start is by reading this website on using the Oly 5050 with manual settings.
I don't know how often you get to dive but it takes time to get used to the camera/housing. I would not get any filters or other attachments until you get used to the camera/housing first. More importantly, you will need a software program to adjust your photos, for example, Photoshop Elements or Paint Shop Pro.
Once you get familiar with the camera it will make it a lot easier to decide on which type of accessories to get.

I totally agree with everything Gilliagan has already said. The time you spend getting to know what your camera will do by itself is priceless. Look at Gilligans website to see what excellent photos can be taken with only the internal flash and built in lens.

FYI, I recently saw a local newspaper article that said that there's now an Olympia "5060" model - - supposedly, its much faster than the 5050 for camera start-up time, shutter lag, and "write to memory" between picture lag. Its worth looking into.

Also, the Canon A80 is also getting some good reviews...its a 4MP system, around $400 and supposedly fits into the same Canon housing as the A60 & A70.

-hh

Back
Top Bottom