Looking for buddy / July 11-12 -Dallas area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chrispete

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am going to be in Dallas July 11th and 12th with nothing to do during the days other than to twiddle my thumbs, and was wanting to see if anyone might be bored enough to accompany me for some diving. I have looked up the Clear Lake/Springs park and it looks interesting, but I'm sure that you guys up there in Dallas may know of better/other places.

One caveat, I will be finishing up my cert in two weeks, and while I expect to log as many dives as I can around here before I get to Dallas, I will be very much in the novice category, so... :)

Chris

If your going to dive Clear Springs your going to need a 5 mil suit at least the water is warm till about 20 feet and then the temp drops to around 50. The only other place close to Dallas to do a dive is Athens Scuba Park. The water there is only 30 feet deep, but there is alot of stuff to see. Both are good places but it depends on if you like the cold or not.:)

Thickest suit I'll probably have by then is a 3 mil suit, is that enough for Athens? (I'd assume no thermocline with the shallow depth there)

Chris

I couldn't make Travis this weekend (BUMMER) so me and a bud hit Athens yesterday. My computer logged the water at 76 degrees. And there I was weight testing my new 7/5mm Goldcore that I bought for Terrell.

Athens is a great dive spot for newcomers to the sport. It's a clay pond you can circle on a single tank. Which means if you happen to zip thru your air, you never have too far of a swim to get back to your home dock. It's only about 25' deep so you don't have to worry about deco times and can just kick back and enjoy the dive. They've got plenty of sunken things like a twin engine jet, a school bus and a short sewer type tunnel you can swim through plus some cabin cruisers, golf carts and motorcycles etc. to check out.

Where are you going to be twiddling your thumbs at? Athens is a little over an hour Southeast of Dallas. There's Terrell about 45 minutes East of Dallas. Lake Whitney is about 1 1/2 hours straight South of Dallas. And then there's Possum Kingdom about 2 hours West of Dallas. We have plenty of other lakes in the area, but even a HID light can't penetrate the muck.Link Link Link Link

I'll probably be staying in Dallas proper - although there is a slight chance that I may be staying in Denton. Thanks for the links!

Originally posted by chrispete
I'll probably be staying in Dallas proper - although there is a slight chance that I may be staying in Denton. Thanks for the links!
Hey! Did someone mention Denton???

That's my town! (and here I thought I was the only diver on the board from there!)

I'm not sure about the dates (since it's close to the Wreckmania) but all other scheduling permitting, I probably can dive with ya. And since you're at the novice level, I'd probably suggest Athens since it's warm, shallow, and lots of different underwater objects to look at.

Keep us advised of your plans as they develop.

Found a buddy and it looks like we will probably be going to Clear Springs on the 11th and Athens on the 12th - to get the best of both worlds :) Anyone else who would like to meet up for one day or the other, please feel free to contact me and I'll keep you updated as plans get more concrete.

Hey Mike! I'm having pains with the weekends, but I PM'd ChrisPete and we'll probably do Clear Springs on Thursday the 11th (if Debbie will let us in) and Athens on the 12th. We'll definately find someplace on Thursday, Friday they're both open.

I haven't got to see Sisco yet!

Come along for some fun dives!

Randy,

Unfortunately, I burned lots of time off in May, so I have to ease off on the days off in June (kinda gotta get some work done so the business will still exist, ya know?).

But we can probably work in a few dives over the weekends soon enough.

BTW, SueJ's hubby turns out to be the type who wants to explore the Texas lakes and rivers to see what's diveable. So we might call upon you to be part of an expiditionary team to see what's out there.

Did you department have you working over Mem.weekend?

Originally posted by chrispete
Found a buddy and it looks like we will probably be going to Clear Springs on the 11th and Athens on the 12th - to get the best of both worlds :) Anyone else who would like to meet up for one day or the other, please feel free to contact me and I'll keep you updated as plans get more concrete.

Chris,
I will be in Athens that weekend....I can dive with you on the 12th. I have a family reunion the next day, but a Friday dive there would be nice. Please let me know.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom