Looking for Bonaire photo dive buddies, March 6-April2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You'll have to let me know how the connectivity longer term, VPN, internet works. I've had no issues with the short term, daily check in kind of stuff, but haven't done any consistent, data intensive, Zoom calls w/ video type work from Bonaire.

You have inspired me to set up an Instagram and review pictures I forgot I ever had. They joy of digital, shoot, shoot, shoot, delete. Hope you have lots of dive time and take lots of pictures! My favorite Bonaire dive time is late afternoon, during 'shift change' when the night dwellers start coming up and the day fish wind down. Usually eels about. Try Salt Pier shallows around 4:30 - 5:30 for turtles. Usually in about 10-15 foot munchin on eel grass. I think we have about a 90% success rate. But really no bad dive time. We also like night diving (resort has steps into the water, no getting hurt) with the cameras - crinoids & brittle stars out, lobster out, big tarpon out> I'm not a tarpon fan, they like to get a little too close.
Fyi - ExpressVPN is working like a charm! Logging into the Miami server and getting ~30mb/s wired. I then set up a mobile hotspot from my pc since I have some phone apps that need vpn too.

We've been very impressed with the internet access here - in the hotel we stayed at the first night, restaurants, and now this airbnb. Lots of ads for high speed internet around, so if you find a place you like that doesn't have the best internet package, offer to pay for a month of high speed to get the good stuff!

Only thing that has tripped us up is that the place we are in only has 110v outlets for about 1/4 of the outlets and we didn't bring voltage converters thinking we'd be good.

Other tips: Bring power strips, extra cables, anything you can fit in your bag you might need for IT. Let's just say I'm glad I brought a 25ft cat6 cable :D

*edit* nm - gonna take a break tomorrow. Still recovering from a red-eye and the time zone shift and two dives today has me already worn out! Gettin old!

Fyi - ExpressVPN is working like a charm! Logging into the Miami server and getting ~30mb/s wired. I then set up a mobile hotspot from my pc since I have some phone apps that need vpn too.

We've been very impressed with the internet access here - in the hotel we stayed at the first night, restaurants, and now this airbnb. Lots of ads for high speed internet around, so if you find a place you like that doesn't have the best internet package, offer to pay for a month of high speed to get the good stuff!

Only thing that has tripped us up is that the place we are in only has 110v outlets for about 1/4 of the outlets and we didn't bring voltage converters thinking we'd be good.

Other tips: Bring power strips, extra cables, anything you can fit in your bag you might need for IT. Let's just say I'm glad I brought a 25ft cat6 cable :D
Glad you made it and great to hear the connectivity/speed/VPN has worked. Oh yes!! Surge protected power strips, Cat5 and HDMI cables are a must. One of the first things in my bag based on years as a road warrior. Come in handy for business travel. Also suggest you leave no sensitive electronics plugged in when you are not using them. Fluctuations kill them.

Last minute rush on here. Weighing bags, paperwork, tests. Looking forward to escaping the chilly dreary NorthEast. Happy diving!

Hi, I have read your messages and they match quite well myself... I will make my first trip to Bonaire between March 24th and April 2nd. I come from Munich, Germany together with my wife. She is not diving, so I would like to find buddies to make some nice relaxed dives. I like also a slow pace and making photos, sounds all good. I will be in holidays, so I am flexible regarding time, but early dives, before breakfast sound very good to me. Can I tag along?

just starting for Bonaire, are you guys still around?

I'm stoked to be going to Bonaire for the first time next month! I'm an advanced-ish diver (~200 dives) used to shore and boat diving in Northern California and an amateur photographer.

My partner also dives, but she won't want to go out as many days as I will, so I'd love to buddy up with good divers who will be around for morning shore dives that are more the slower-paced look-for-critters to photograph type. I'll have a truck (for the last couple of weeks I'll have an Ultimate Dive Truck which I'm very stoked about :D) and will be staying not too far from Dive Friends Yellow Submarine.

If you'll be around looking for some chill dives, especially if you're a photographer or a Bonaire shore diving old-hat who likes showing new people around, let me know!
Hi-will be there March 20-April 9 with a truck, pro u/w photographer and author with 3500 dives , looking for other experienced folks to dive with . Staying up near oil slick. See book cover, my e mail is chrisharveyclark@gmail.com

Attachments

• coverMMLDec12021Screen Shot 2021-12-01 at 10.20.01 AM.jpeg
    coverMMLDec12021Screen Shot 2021-12-01 at 10.20.01 AM.jpeg
    134.3 KB · Views: 52
Awesome, nice to meet you Jersey!

I'm able to do a month due to remote tech work (as long as the internet and VPN gods are smiling) and a very awesome boss :)

I'll probably be diving in the mornings mostly, then working on west coast time afterwards.

Most of those pics are Olympus TG6 + lightroom, but now I have a micro 4/3rds set up and am stoked to get a bunch of warm blue water practice time in next month.
Sorry for the off-topic post, but your photos are outstanding. Can you please share what your strobe/lighting setup is?

I just picked up a TG-6 as an intro to U/W photography, and will be in Bonaire with my family from March 25-April 2 (you'll know it is us when you see five adult sized people jammed into one Chinese truck with a stupid number of tanks in the bed).

EDIT: I just noticed that this thread was revived from a March 2022 death.

@rye_a - you arrive the day we depart.
@somniosus - hey Dr Chris, WOW! Great shots! UUUUummmm will be there 11 -25th , not sure you would want to dive with absolutely un-professional, only about 500 dives, want-to-be-photog playing w a P&S G16, Fantasea housing and Sea and Sea DS-Y strobeage. But if you do and you wander down to Buddy, I'm usually doing an afternoon from the dock or hit me up a pm here, let me know what day works and we can meet up for a dive. I like the dock dive, afternoon, shift change with the fish, lots of things out and about, most peeps out of the water and I can just relax and snap snap snap. By the time I get out, it's adult beverage time. Cheers - Lin

@rye_a - you arrive the day we depart.
@somniosus - hey Dr Chris, WOW! Great shots! UUUUummmm will be there 11 -25th , not sure you would want to dive with absolutely un-professional, only about 500 dives, want-to-be-photog playing w a P&S G16, Fantasea housing and Sea and Sea DS-Y strobeage. But if you do and you wander down to Buddy, I'm usually doing an afternoon from the dock or hit me up a pm here, let me know what day works and we can meet up for a dive. I like the dock dive, afternoon, shift change with the fish, lots of things out and about, most peeps out of the water and I can just relax and snap snap snap. By the time I get out, it's adult beverage time. Cheers - Lin
Thanks Jersey-lets stay in contact, I am staying at Oil slick just a atad north and pm dives into evening are great,love that shift change and you see it few places in the carib due mostly to human impact
cheers chc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom