Looking for articles on strobe UW photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JDelage

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm a photo enthusiast topside (mostly with a Canon 20D), but I'm new to UW photography (I will be using an RX100ii). I would like to understand better how UW photo with strobes work. In particular, I'd like to understand whether there are TTL options that do not rely on an electric connection (i.e., hot shoe). More generally I could use a general summary on the technology of UW strobe photography, and how it differs from flash photo topside.

Thanks,

JD

The RX100 does not have a manual flash mode, it is always in TTL (AFAIK). You can get TTL output via fiber optic to a variety of strobes from S&S, Inon, IKE (and others). The big differences in strobe topside vs. underwater have to do with what we dive in. Water is not as clear as air (even the air here in Los Angeles) and there are particles. Guide numbers in air need to be divided by 4 or so to get guide numbers underwater and strobe placement to avoid backscatter is critical.

Lighting concepts that are useful in the studio are useful underwater as well (shadow placement etc.) but in general the best way to learn is to practice.
Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom