Looking for 'affordable' drysuit. possible?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aidensnd

Reaction score
I'm looking into getting a drysuit but don't really know anything about them apart from the fact that they are all incredibly expensive at the LDS. I know I can find them cheaper online but I'm not really sure what I should be looking for. I can't afford a $1000+ suit, is there anything out there that is cheaper than that yet sill good quality?
What makes a good drysuit and what should I stay away from? Any tips, suggestions or nudges in the right direction would be most appreciated.

Thanks
Dan

My first drysuit was a bare nex gen.My wife still uses hers.For the price it beats a wetsuit anyday.Take good care of it and be careful as it is a bilam it should last you a while.If you want a good source to order one online PM me.

lal7176 once bubbled...
My first drysuit was a bare nex gen.My wife still uses hers.For the price it beats a wetsuit anyday.Take good care of it and be careful as it is a bilam it should last you a while.If you want a good source to order one online PM me.

I'd be interested in the info as well... I have been looking at the USIA Aqualite which runs about $1000 at the LDS's with a bag, maintenance kit, (hose I belive also), and level II Undergarment...

I heard one possible bad thing from a different LDS the other day though, that the Bi-Laminate can seperate after about 250+ dives... is there a way to prevent this... IF it's true or is it just BS? I'm leaning twoards it being BS because 2 other dive shops sell the same suit including one that is one of the oldest in the state and I know the guys, and they are all knowledgable guys who's shop tends to sell stuff that lasts as well as works.

But I've been semi-interested in the bare suit as well as the entry level DUI (but I've heard the DUI can't be bought for 1000 or less anymore)

Here's some reading material for you, it lists 13 drysuits for under $1k.
http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/dryunder1k/
You have the luxury of having one of the USA's top 3 DUI dealers in Sacto, Dolphin Scuba. (they'll discount as much as is allowed)
Your local Viking dealer (me) is always having a sale, by the way.
:mean:

Save yourself the time and research and just order a Viking Extreme from Bob3.

I personally dive a dui but if I knew then what I know now, Id do exactly that.

Great suit!

Dave

Hey Big O, I'm in the same boat as WillAbbott. I am looking at getting my first drysuit and don't have the cash to drop on a top-shelf suit. I have spent many an hour researching sites (to include the Rodale article.)

Based on the Scuba Mag article, I am leaning towards the DUI CNse or 350SE (about $800 each). I also can get a good deal on a Bare Trilam ATR light at my LDS for a few $$ more.

What do you mean "..if I knew then..." in regards to your DUI?

Like I said I have a tls350 and I love it. But If I were to do it again, Id buy a Viking extreme from Bob3 for the price he can sell them for. I didn't know Bob when I bought my suit, but I have been on 2 trips with him in the UP of Michigan, and he won't steer you wrong. I know of at least 3 people who have bought suits from him and they all love their suits.

The tls 350se and Cnse are bothg great suits also. Don't feel as thougth you have to buy a undergarment right off the bat either. You can get away with multi layers of clothing, long underwear for a while.

I guess to sum it up, I have, if I remember correctly about a $1700 dollar suit, and I think I would have been every bit as happy with a suit from Bob3 for say 900-1000.

Hope this helps guys!

Dave

PS! Although Bob 3 is a friend of mine, I don't gain a cent if he sells 1 suit, or 385 suits!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom