Looking for advice on which liveaboard route to do and where to spend a week diving afterwards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eckoback

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey all, I'm looking to spend ~2 weeks in Egypt this fall and have a few questions about which liveaboard route to do and where I should dive on land afterwards.

I'm a fan of towering structures and fish / reef life. I like pelagics and big stuff, but they're not a huge priority for me. It's always a treat to see them, but I don't like spending entire dives out in the blue looking for them. I don't mind currents, but I'm also on vacation, so I don't want to work too hard all of my dives.

With that said, I have a few questions:

1. Should I do the Reefs and Wrecks path up north, or the BDE path down south? Regarding the latter, do a lot of the dives consist of looking for pelagics out in the blue, or are they current heavy?

2. I'm looking to do another week of diving in Dahab or Sharm after my liveaboard. Depending on which liveaboard route I do, does that impact which town I should base myself out of? I want to get the most "balanced" diving experience, if possible.

Hi! My advice would be to do a liveaboard out of Port Ghalib (BDE, Deep South, etc) followed by a week diving land-based off Sharm El Sheik. You would be able to dive Tiran, Ras Mohamed and perhaps even Thislegorm from Sharm.

If you head up to Dahab after the LOB then you have the opportunity to do a wide range of shore dives at a very affordable price.

I'd say you could split the time between Sharm and Dahab. It's a short drive between them anyway, only keep in mind the road between them rises to 900m or so. Even if not diving related, it's worth mentioning that mount Sinai and the VERY old (as in 1500 years) monastery of St Catherine are quite close from Dahab and well worth a visit even for those who aren't religious.

We typically do a week on a safari boat and then a week in Dahab. We used to do a week of shore diving in Dahab and then the safari boat. However, with the second week in Dahab, you can relax more.

If you do the classic Sinai route there is no reason to do Sharm as you do the Thistlegorm wreck, Ras Mohammed, and the Tiran islands.

The weather is less certain in the south and some say that the dives are more demanding because you are more exposed being further away from land

we like to use king Snefro fleet out of Sharm which among other things includes nitrox in the price. We also prefer to use Planet divers in Dahab as nitrox is also included in their packages.

we are actually on our trip in the Dahab shore diving phase now.

we are actually on our trip in the Dahab shore diving phase now

Say hi to the Elephant for me when you dive the Lighthouse :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom