looking for advice on new gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

indyFX

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello, I'm new to ScubaBoard and I'm looking for help in making a reasonable decision on upgrading my gear. I currently have a Dacor Extreme Plus regulator, Sherwood gauge console, and Dacor Nautica BC with ScubaPro Air2.
I haven't been diving for a few years and I will be diving again in seven weeks. I know I need to replace my regulator, but I'm not sure which way to go. My local dive shop has a special on a ScubaPro setup with MK16/R190, Knighthawk BC with Air2, and Uwatec computer & gauge console with compass for $1080. My wife just bought this setup for herself, but I'm conflicted - my Dacor BC is 15+ years old and the elastic is shot, but I'm thinking it should still be serviceable. The local shop says I would be happier with the Knighthawk with it's rear inflation and weight pockets.
I'm tempted by the Zeagle deals I'm seeing on a Flathead 6 for $360 or Flathead 7 for $480+-, but the nearest dealer is over an hour away. The LDS has the ScubaPro MK16/R190 for $325. I can be at the ScuabaPro dealer in 15 minutes.
Do I save money and just replace my regulator, or do the ScubaPro deal and upgrade the whole setup. And would it be worth it to upgrade the ScubaPro regulator model?
Any input is appreciated.

I would think the opposite: that the regulator should still be serviceable but your BC is shot after 15 years. I still use my Oceanic Delta 2 which is over 10 years old, but have gone through more than one BC.

The internal plastic parts of a regulator are replaced during overhaul and the metal does not deteriorate that much. On the other hand the fabric and rubber of the BC is likey deteriorated with use and storage.

Adam

Adam - I thought I might never have to replace my regulator until I learned about Mares taking over Dacor and discontinuing the service parts - I gather they're nearly impossible to find. The Extreme Plus had a ridiculous number of parts in the service kits. I feel I'm forced to move to a regulator that has parts readily available.

I would think the opposite: that the regulator should still be serviceable but your BC is shot after 15 years. I still use my Oceanic Delta 2 which is over 10 years old, but have gone through more than one BC.

The internal plastic parts of a regulator are replaced during overhaul and the metal does not deteriorate that much. On the other hand the fabric and rubber of the BC is likey deteriorated with use and storage.

Adam

To get an idea about pricing you can compare with an online dealer like LeisurePro and allow a small premium to buy locally, just sum the individual items on LeisurePro to compare.

Also, on the Zeagle board there's an online Zeagle dealer, so you could buy the Flathead 7 online.

Just some thoughts.

Adam

Back
Top Bottom