Looking for advice on Dive Skins & other gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maeltne

New
Reaction score
My wife and I are going to Mazatlan this October, and are planning on doing some snorkeling. I've been browsing & researching some equipment and have decided on everything except a dive suit.

I was initially thinking of a wetsuit shorty, but think I've decided on a polypropylene or polyolefin dive skin. The slight thermal help, neutral buoyancy & sun protection are the main reasons.

Currently I'm looking at:
Akona ... /sigh at no links

The AKONA SkinSuit provides maximum comfort for tropical environments.10 ounce Polypropolene, soft brushed lining and flatlock construction form a cofortable fit to use alone or as layering garment. Other features include ankle & thumb stirrups, Heavy duty zipper and fast drying.
Color: Black with silver stitching

Pinnacle:
The Bioply Suit is much more than a dive skin. It can do everything that a skin can do, yet offers more insulation in the water and is a better wind-breaker topside. A versatile product, the Bioply Suit can be used as a warm water suit, as an undersuit used with a wetsuit or a shorty, and can even be used as a drysuit undergarment in tropical waters or with a surface drysuit.

* Can be used by itself for tropical diving, snorkeling, and watersports
* When worn by itself or under a shorty, the Bioply Suit provides measurably significant insulation, greater elbow and knee protection than a skin, and complete UV sun protection
* When used as an undersuit, makes any suit slide on easier
* Can even be used as a drysuit undergarment when only a slight amount of insulation is required.
* Plush interior lining is soft and comfortable against the skin, both topside and in the water
* Flattering, sleek all-black color with charcoal gray stitching accents
* High-stretch Spandex material fits a wide range of sizes and shapes
* Thumb loops and ankle stirrups allow easy donning of suits over the Skin
* Two-way front zipper
* Packs up very small and light for travel
* Provides a hygienic barrier when worn under a rental wetsuit

Henderson:
Experience the difference of Henderson's 17-ounce Polyolefin/Lycra®. Ultra durable, this superskin is woven from a solid fiber that dries quickly, is resistant to bacteria growth, sunlight and chlorine. And, because the color is part of the fabric, it will never fade. Highly abrasion resistant, this jumpsuit is also armored with neoprene knee pads for increased durability. Creature comforts include a spine pad to cushion against dive tank weight, an easy-to-use front zip and a soft-brushed lining that feels great against the skin.

I've mostly eliminated the Henderson as the place I'm ordering from doesn't carry it. I like that the Akona has a back zipper, but other than that it seems mostly a toss up for me between the Akona & Pinnacle.

Also any thoughts on the Tusa Viewtrek Plus Mask (M-26), Tusa Imprex II Hyperdry Flex Snorkel (SP-580Q), & Cressi Clio Full Foot Fins.

Keep in mind we are the ultimate beginners.

Last edited:
Good call on not getting a shorty. Better to have full coverage when diving or snorkeling. Shorty+snorkeling=Back of exposed arms and legs burnt.

I wouldn't overanalyze a skin. If you're talking name brand skin suits of the same basic material I'd want whichever fits best for comfort, which of course is hard to tell until you have it. Plain lycra is very stretchy and it doesn't matter so much, but some of the tech layered fabric suits aren't quite as stretchy.

The Tusa Hyperdry snorkel is nice for snorkeling. I've got one.

The fins and mask, most important that they fit you, and we can't guess that on the 'net.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom