Looking for Advice on Canon Digital Rebel XT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually Ikelite housing for 20D and Rebel XT cost exactly the same. So if you go Ikelite route, there won't be any difference beside the cost of the camera. However with 20D, there are a lot more choices, granted generally more expensive choices, such as Subal which offer aluminum housing with an option for a large magnifying viewfinder etc. Rebel XT viewfinder is the same size as Nikon D70 which is quite small and sometimes a pain to use underwater especially with your mask etc in the way. One dial each for shutter and aparture control rather than one dial for both is also very handy for quick adjustment underwater.
I personally happen to think that the extra money is worth some of the extra features in the long run.

It appears B&H now has some Ikelite housings for the 20D, so don't let housing availablility be a factor for you. I've had some time to play with the functions of the 20D, and take some really amazing shots with minimal effort really. Can't wait to see how it performs on the coronado islands this weekend :) I hear the eTTL in the 20D is worth every penny of the price differencce from the Rebel XT.

Happy shopping,

Wow, thank you for all the great advice, everyone! Here is an interesting article comparing the Digital Rebel XT (350D) and the EOD 20D: http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/eos_digital_rebel_xt_vs_20d.html . The author concludes no significant image differences, though he prefers the features and durability of the 20D. I will keep researching to see if the extra $500 for the 20D is worth it for me, but I am still very much open to hearing others' opinions on this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom