Looking for Advice on Canon Digital Rebel XT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fsudiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hello everyone. I am new to this forum and did some surfing around other postings about this camera, but I still have questions for those of you who may have experience with the Canon Digital Rebel XT.

1. I have heard that it is better to get the black model for underwater photography than the silver. Is this true? Does anyone have the silver, and if so, do you have any problems with it?
2. What housing do you have, and do you like it? (I am looking at the Ikelite 6871.35, but it is even more expensive than the camera, so I am open to other ideas).
3. What strobe system do you have, and how do you like it?
4. Where did you buy your camera, and how was the price and service?

Finally, if anyone has used this camera for underwater photography, but actually prefers a different camera, please let me know. I would love to hear other people's ideas before I make this investment.

Thank you!

From what I've seen this is a slick little unit. The Ike housing is one of the only options out there for this camera so far and is the cheapest by far (excluding the Ewamarine baggie). If you are going to house a dslr, be prepared to pay big bucks for the housing, ports, gear sleeves, cables, etc etc...

For strobes - Ike's are awesome with a fantastic recycle rate. Inon's are also excellent in a neat little package that takes AA batteries.

One place you don't want to be chintzy (sp?) is on your housing. Ikelite housings are a great value. If you go with the Ike housing, get an Ikelite strobe and you will have TTL. I would suggest starting out with one until you get comfortable with your system, then add a second at a later date. I would go with the DS-125. It is a very powerful strobe and has a built-in focus light that works great as a light for night diving.

HTH,
Dave

Thanks so much to everyone who has responded so far, especially with all the great suggestions and positive comments about the Digital Rebel. I look forward to hearing more!

Just picked up the 20D last week, which is somewhat the same as the rebel, highly, highly reccomend. Very fast, very rich images.

Kind of a bummer though, Ikelite's been on backorder for the housings for over a month.

BigJetDriver69, did you intentionally choose the black model over the silver? Have you heard anything about problems with using the silver in housings underwater?

I am afraid that if I get the camera, I will want to go ahead and spend the money to get the housing right away! You have great self-control. :)

BigJetDriver69:
FSU,

I have the Rebel XT in black. I don't have the housing yet. I will say that it is one DYNAMITE camera!

If you don't already own the Rebel XT, I would strongly consider getting the 20D instead. By the time you are done with housing, lenses, ports, strobes, the difference in price of XT vs 20D is not a huge factor in total cost. With 20D, you will get a lot more choices of housing, better ergonomics, bigger viewfinder and slightly better camera.
I think this is one reason that most housing manufacturers decided to skip the XT and stay with 20D onlly.

ssra30, thank you for the advice. I had not heard this before, so I will do some research and check out the 20D. Thanks again!

ssra30:
If you don't already own the Rebel XT, I would strongly consider getting the 20D instead. By the time you are done with housing, lenses, ports, strobes, the difference in price of XT vs 20D is not a huge factor in total cost. With 20D, you will get a lot more choices of housing, better ergonomics and slightly better camera.
I think this is one reason that most housing manufacturers decided to skip the XT and stay with 20D only.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom