Looking for advice on an Underwater Camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As seaducer mentioned some G10 case allow the use of the internal flash, some do not. However, the internal flash is only really useful for close-up photos. Small particles suspended in the water scatter light, so flashes cannot light as far as on land. These particles also reflect light back towards the source. This can mean distracting bright dots in photos. Using an external strobe reduces this effect.

For the cameras mentioned, do I need to buy an external strobe? For example for the Canon G10 or for the DC800?

Thanks again to everyone for their great advice! I've narrowed my search down to 2 cameras with your help, I'm going to stop by B&H today to see if I can take a look at them.

I have the DX-1G and am very happy with it. It will take great pictures, can be used as a simple automatic point and shoot camera but also has manual modes as well. Since you are a new diver, I can't stress enough the importance of getting your diving skills down first. I have found that great bouyancy skills are very important to taking good photos. If you click on my photos link and then click on my Galapagos pics you will see photos taken by the DX-1G.

Regards,

Bill

Back
Top Bottom