Looking for advice: Barbados?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I am looking for advise where to go: Barbados, Cayman Islands or Turk and Caicos?

I am an experienced diver, but my hubby only dives once in a while. So we are always looking for a good compromise, meaning an island where one can do other things besides diving. He is also very much into free-diving.
Some information about my diving preferences: I have been so far diving at Saba -enjoyed deep dives and clear water, but missed beaches-, Anguilla -good beaches, decent dives but too expensive-, Bahamas -enjoyed diving with sharks-, Bonaire -didn't like shore diving so much- .

I had almost decided on Barbados, but after reading the threads it seems that you favor Turks & Caicos.

Your input is very much appreciated. It should be an island, which can easily be reached from London since I am flying from Europe.

I have made four trips to Barbados but have never been to T&C. The diving in Barbados is not Bonaire quality but good none the less. The island is easy to drive around on and the people are fantastic. There are tons of things to do above the water as well. There is both shore and boat diving.

If you decide on Barbados, I will be glad to answer any questions and make some suggestions on where to go.

RICHinNC; thanks a lot for reply. I also saw your reports on Barbados.

In which ways is Bonaire better?

Two completely differernt worlds !!!
Bonaire has the greatest reefs and is a shore divers paradise. But there is just about zip to do above the water.

Barbados is a good mix of good dives and all kinds of things to do above the water. Depends if you want to stay wet all the time or get wet during the day and party pretty good at night.

Based on your comments , I would go with Barbados. The offer still stands on the call.

Hello from Barbados. I am writing from Barbados Blue the dive operator at the Hilton in Barbados. Obviously I am bias but Barbados is a great choice for a combined land and sea vacation, and we have great very easy direct flights from the UK daily. The diving is fantastic, lots of great healthy reefs, some lovely wrecks and turtles, turtles, turtles. On land we have caves, zip lines, beaches, 4x4 tours, sailing cruises, aquariums, museums etc etc etc For any more specific info on the dives the sites please let us know. All the best and happy diving

I'm considering going to Barbados in Sept. I've read several posts where people say that Barbados is expensive. "Expensive" is, of course, relative. Can anyone give me an idea about costs for food and other expenses? The package I'm considering includes airfare, hotel, diving and breakfast. How much should I budget for food, assuming moderately priced restaurants?

Just a note, on the weekend vis was phenomenal 120+ and our morning south coast dive proved very active...eagle ray, big southern sting ray, big dog snapper, school barracudas, squid, puffers, drum, lobster, 3 hawskbill turtles, 4 green turtles AND a Ridley turtle (this is very rare for Barbados as we get ~1 sighting per year-1.5). My best dive in months (and yes w teaching that is a lot of dives)

As for food costs that totally depends on your palet and wallet. You can eat at fish markets and local casual for 10 USD, or restaurants anywhere up to who knows maybe $300 USD each. An average south coast 'nice' restaurant (semi-formal no jeans, no shorts) would run ~40-50 USD. Keep in mind that west coast prices are generally higher than south coast venues. Sounds to me like you are coming on a near all inclusive, so your extra costs should not be excessive.

Chris

can I take a guess...pic taken inside the Eilion in Carlisle Bay Marine Park??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom