Looking for advice about a good basic light.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fishy8411

Contributor
Reaction score
I know NOTHING about dive lights. I am going to be diving in Lake Huron and quarries, no deeper than a 130 feet. I am not going to be doing any entry work. I might do night dives off the Florida coast, next year. I am looking for a good basic light that will fill the bill for me.

I don't know what size.

I don't know what strength.

I want one that has easy/cheap upkeep (easy to clean, replace bulb, charge/replace batteries etc.)

I am frugal, inexpensive is good.

Thanks for any and all advice.

Tom

I just went through what your going through. I found out a few things. One You get what you paid for. That being said, I found that the back up light was not so big a deal as the primary was. I was given a Princeton tec c-8 for Xmas. Second dive, and the first one at any depth, it flooded, and some damage was done before I noticed it. Bad news, I didn't think it was very bright, and was unfocasable. Good news was PT said to send it back and they woud fix it. They sent me a new one instead. In the mean time I needed a Dive light so I picked up a used one for 20 bucks on Ebay. It was a Underwater Kinetics d-8. (was a pretty pricey light when new) Now that's a bigger light, but boy does it work well! bright, beam really pierces the water, so far has not leaked and seems to be a better built piece in general then the PT light. I looked into the canister lights, but that is too pricey for me so that limited my choices some. I would buy a UK over PT only due to my personal experiences so far. I also have noticed some folks have lights on their Primary regs, so you can locate each other, that looked like a good idea, even though I don't yet have one. And the one I really need to get is a strobe for hanging under your boat. You can't believe how hard it is to find a boat at night! and then get the right one. Sounds easy, but it can be a challenge. I liked the newer models that have switchable bulbs built in, gives you just a bit more redundancy. And make sure it has a lock on the switch, I had one turn on in my baggage. New rule for self: take out the batteries while traveling stupid! or lock the latch. I had left the batteries in due to space constraints in my baggage. Good news is it didn't melt anything, but it was hot when I found it.
Like I said, I just got started on this light business, but I did learn a bit in the process.

I've had a UK D-8 for about 4 years. No problems with it, haven't had it past 60 ft and only about 10 dives. It has a redundant bulb that you can switch to if the primary burns out during the dive. It's a nice basic light.

I love underwater kinetics too. They make some great stuff and very reasonably priced. If you wanted a canon they have a few options. I have a C-8 that I like and there is a rechargeable kit with higher power bulb available for it, it also has a redundant bulb, which is nice, you can flip over if one fails.
I have 3 mini Q40s, little UK 4 AA lights, great for mounting on your mask strap or just sticking in a pocket. The Princeton Tec little 4AA light is a bit brighter, and I have 2 of those that I like.
I recently bought the Princeton tec surge, I needed a medium light for all around stuff that didn't take a lot of space. The surge has been a great light and I use it more than any of the others. It uses 8 AAs, but if you only have 4 it will work, just not as long. Its very compact and bright for its size and less than 30.00 at leisurepro.com, which I just checked and couldn't find there :(
I also have a ikelite c8 primary that I haven't used yet, I'm just hanging on to it as a backup. I'm not sure how comfortable I am with it, too many individual parts, makes me worry I wont get something latched right and it'll flood.
Good luck,
Justin

Well I bought a light. I'm buying a used Dry Suit from Dive Tank and they just happen to be having a special on the UK Sunlight D8. The price of 39.95 seemed to be good, so I had them add one onto the order. Thanks for the feedback, I made the purchase based on the positive comments regarding Underwater Kinetics.

Thanks

Tom

Good price!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom