Looking for a specific type tank rack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chepar

Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone know of an online website where I can order one of those tank racks that is made of (what appears to be) PVC pipe material? Diver's Direct used to carry them, but now all they have are the foam ones. In fact, most of the online websites also only carry the foam tank racks.

I am primarily interested in the PVC one because of the way it can be "rolled up" for storage. I don't transport tanks very often, so this would be ideal for storage.

Thanks for your help.

Sounds like a simple DIY job - three bits of PVC pipe, two bits of nylon rope, either a hand or electric drill, and maybe an hour of your time.

Catalog item #4543...$19.99. This is from the latest catalog, Winter 2003.

However, it looks like you could make one in less than an hour, ...3 pieces of PVC pipe, nylon rope, and you're home free..

Scubaroo once bubbled...
Sounds like a simple DIY job - three bits of PVC pipe, two bits of nylon rope, either a hand or electric drill, and maybe an hour of your time.

but I am not a real DIY person, unfortunately.

The one I saw (before it was discontinued) was pretty inexpensive at around $19 plus shipping. It's a lot easier for me to pay the $23 - $25 than to go to the hardware store, buy the stuff, locate a drill to use and mess around with it.

I may have to go that route if I can't locate a source, though.

cyklon_300 once bubbled...
Catalog item #4543...$19.99. This is from the latest catalog, Winter 2003.

That's the catalog I have - but when I went to the website, it doesn't come up. I guess I'll just try to call them.

Buy a couple of water noodles... or whatever they are called there... two inch diameter foam about 4'~5' long that kids use for swimming or beating one another over the head.

You can cut them with a knife and drill them with a pencil.

A little ski rope and your in business.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

Thanks UP!

This is a little more up my alley. :D

I can wield a mean Xacto and pencil - but forget dealing with power tools.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
Buy a couple of water noodles... or whatever they are called there... two inch diameter foam about 4'~5' long that kids use for swimming or beating one another over the head.

A little ski rope and your in business.

That's what I did but the foam doesn't hold up very well. If you put a metal washer between the rope knot and the noodle on each side, it will prevent the rope from eventually pulling through. I originally used really big knots but they eventually worked through the foam.

If you only carry a couple tanks side-by-side it may hold up better but we've usuall got 6 or more, some of them stacked.

The PVC version took me about an hour vs. about 30 min.

Dee once bubbled...
we've usuall got 6 or more, some of them stacked.
You might scare Chepar off by adding in technical stuff like washers Dee :D

Actually if you guys weren't stacking that wouldn't be a problem but since you do the washers are a nice touch... S.S. of course :wink:

Back
Top Bottom