Looking for a replacement BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's a shame the hydros is so expensive.

Especially with how dorky those big ol’ soft structure weight pockets are. I think those things are gaudy.

If you're looking at travel BCDs, you might want to check out the ScubaPro Go. It has integrated weights, folds up small, dries quickly, and has quite a bit of lift (depending on the size) compared to other travel BCDs I looked out. I've used it on two trips so far, so I can't attest to the durability of it, but I've grown quite fond of it.

My 14 year old Sherwood BCD has broken and is not repairable. I do most of my diving in the Caribbean and am always fighting to meet the 50 pound limit. I am thinking of buying a travel BCD with integrated weights.

Any suggestions or BCD's I should avoid?

Hello. My wife just got certified this past year, as such anytime we go near a dive destination I am carrying my gear and hers in my dive bag and I am under the 50 lb rule for the airlines.

Here is what we own. I bought her a Cressi travel BC, I have an aqualung Pro. Both sets of fins go inside and masks also her wetsuit (I don’t wear one) and my rash guard and trunks along with my save a dive kit and two bbuoyancy markers. I come in at 48 lbs. I carry her regulator and mine with our dive computers in a backpack aboard the plane.

Sorry to be so long winded here, but wanted to say that the Aqualung Pro BCD is nice, has integrated weight pockets and has trim pockets on the back as well. I think you would enjoy it as even though it does have a back plate it is very light and rugged.

Anyway I wish you luck and hope you get a good deal. I bought all of my aqualung gear online at an authorized dealer. The wife’s gear was bought at out local dive shop but I paid full retail. Divers Supply is authorized and they have brick and mortar stores in 3 states. They usually have some good deals going on if your so inclined or you can go to the store and try on a BCD as well.

Glenn

Switching to a BP/W will not automatically improve your skill level as a diver.

Really? I'd like to know where you are getting your facts from. This video proves otherwise.:wink:

I decided to go for a BP/W with a steel plate. The difference between alu and steel is small, but you get to have one less weight. I got the one from DGX, and they seem pretty nice and high quality.

You can pack it quite flat, on the bottom of your bag. and then just place everything over it. I use 4 trim weight pockets. and with all of that I think it will be more than enough for any weight I need w/o the use of a belt. I can go for max 8kg's + 2kg for the backplate. This is more than enough for me for 2x7mm.

And to be honest, after looking a lot of travel/regular BCD's travels you have marginal gains for less durability. And the BP helps with back problems. :)

Attachments

• IMG_20200309_193900.jpg
    IMG_20200309_193900.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20200309_193917.jpg
    IMG_20200309_193917.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 84
Really? I'd like to know where you are getting your facts from. This video proves otherwise.:wink:

Oh wow, well there you have it! Absolutely proof

:rofl3:

It's a shame the hydros is so expensive. You can get the bc or a bp/w and the airplane ticket for your trip.
I know it is a little more expensive but it is an investment that should last for many years to come. Hydros molds into your body so it is comfortable (someone was talking about back problems) and doesn’t ride up (no crotch strap, which I hate) . If one gets quality BP with W and all of the add ons, there are really not a lot of places you can fly to on the money difference between the BCs. That is not to count some of the other perks you get from Scubapro (good service, parts for life, etc...)

Not sure why no one has mentioned or recommended either the Zeagle Covert or Zena. I have the original Covert and it is awesome--super lightweight and easy to pack, with integrated weight pockets. It weighs less than 4 pounds! The new Covert is a little heavier and more engineered, but still very light. The Zena is specifically made for women and super-adjustable size wise. I've never dived it but it consistently gets rave reviews, and it only weights 6.2 lbs. FWIW my two cents.

No one has mentioned it yet, so I'll throw this out for the OP.
Have a look at Xdeep Ghost. It's very comfortable and light. You can get it with intergrated weight pouch and a deluxe version with the quick release which I have, though it's a feature I'm not using. It does make it easy to adjust though.
Highly recommend it.

GHOST lightweight traveler BCD single tank scuba BC system - XDEEP

Back
Top Bottom