Looking for a new cold water reg...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I personally use a Mares MR22/Abyss and a Poseidon Jetstream.
Dove both of the regs year around in Nova Scotia and they always performed flawlessly. I like the Mares actually a little more than the Poseidon.
The names, the other diver mentioned like Apeks, Aqualung and Zeagle would be a great choice as well. As long as you'll stick to the rather "top of the line"
While Scubapro makes excellent regs their cold water reputation (Piston first stages esp.) is less than great.
It comes down to personal preference and serviceability in your area. Do you have an option of trying couple of the mentioned regs out? If so, do it because each reg breathes differently and you may prefer a certain reg over the other.
BTW, Scubatoys.com has the Mares Abyss on special offer now (saw it couple of days ago while browsing) and this is a price that is pretty good for a high performance reg like the Abyss and it would include the manufacturers warranty.
Never bought anything from them until now but they have a great feedback on this board.
Hope it was a help :wink:

Thanks aquaorem..I can't get the Apeks or Zeagal Serviced around fredericton. I am trying to stick to top of the line. Do all regulartor Brands have a life time warrenty??? I might be able to try one or two different ones out, but I would have to do a bit of traveling to get variety. Just because all the shops around here differ from one another quite a bit.....

Firediver:
Thanks aquaorem..I can't get the Apeks or Zeagal Serviced around fredericton. I am trying to stick to top of the line. Do all regulartor Brands have a life time warrenty??? I might be able to try one or two different ones out, but I would have to do a bit of traveling to get variety. Just because all the shops around here differ from one another quite a bit.....
Ah Fredericton... Very nice city. I've worked couple of weeks there 2 years ago. Lots of snow :wink:
I'll PM you with my experience......

Although I sound like a broken record from other posts my vote is always the Mares Proton Metal. Although the Proton Ice gets all the attention the Metal is also cold water rated and $100 less. Call Larry at Scubatoys to verify.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom