Looking for a new cold water reg...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Firediver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking for ideas on the best cold water reg. I dive in Bay of Fundy all year round lowest is -1.2 Degrees Celcius. I need a regulator that won't freeze up and free flow and will breath easy at these cold temperatures. I was looking at the Scubapro MK25/S550.. What would be some recommendations. I am looking to spend no more then $1500 for the entire set-up <1st stage, 2nd stage, octo, console>

ScubaPro makes great regs, but have mixed reviews in cold water. IMO, dry sealed reg would be a better choice, such as Zeagle, Apeks, Aqualung Legends, etc. Poseidons have a stellar reputation under the ice, as long as you have a good technician to service them. If you're going to keep your depths reasonable, the Sherwood Maximus is the preferred reg in the US Antarctic Program and received the lowest failure rate of regs they tested back in the 90's.

I got a deal on my Poseidon Xstream Dive (1st/2nd/Octo) and an SPG, but I think you can get the equivalent retail for USD$1000 (at least that's what I found when I first got it). I've never had it that cold (down to about 5C only), but it's supposed to be a great cold-water reg. You can see pricing at ScubaToys.com, but it appears that Larry will make a better deal if you call. (Note: my Xstream was not from ScubaToys, but I've purchased other equipment from there.)

-Rob

Scubapro makes an "Anti-Freeze" version of the MK25 that should tell you something. Get something that's sealed, like an Apeks or Aqualung or Zeagle.

ScubaToys gear comes with the actual manufacturer's warranty and service plan, BTW.

I dive the proton ice and love it. If you get a sealed one from scuba toys, you should have enough leftover to get a mares m1 console. I also dive that computer and it works just fine.

My advice would be either Apeks or Poseidon. This advice based on the expierience of my fellow divers who - here in poland - mostly dive in cold water. I have Scubapro and Apeks and till now both were working perfectly - even in the water temp 2 - 4 Centigrades.
Mania

DIN or Yoke? I'd recommend DS4/TX50 combo from apeks. Very reasonable price wise and a solid reg setup. the DS4 first stage is DIN though, so not sure if that's a problem. I took my black pearls ice diving and had no problems at all. When I'm ready for twins, I'll be buying the DS4/TX50 setup because it's way less money and just as good quality.

I am looking for yoke. Too soon to switch for me.. The reason I am looking for a new reg is I am using a dacor pacer 2 and I can't get any parts for it. I am worried it's going to fail on me. I do take it in for regulare checks, I just don't trust like I used too.. What would the Apeks regs run me? Whats the warrenty like?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom