Looking for a good underwater flashlight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DDteam

New
Reaction score
Hey all. I figured you would be the best people to talk with about this.

Hopefully you can help me out. I’m looking for a good underwater light to help find objects at the bottom of bodies of water.

Where at: Primarily in lakes or slow moving rivers
Visibility: I’m not sure if this is helpful or not, but if I had to guess the places we’ll be based on where we’ve been so far, the visibility while swimming on the surface during the day is maybe 1 foot at most. So a light that works well in that.
Depth of diving: 20 ft max
The light doesn’t have to be hands free
If it was under $50 that would be awesome, but I know sometimes you can’t always get good things cheap
A bonus would be if it’s easy to find (say Amazon)

Really I mainly want something that I can see a long distance with so I don’t have to swim as much, or go down as deep. Any help would be great.

Thanks a lot!

So, you want to swim at the surface, and locate things 20 feet deep in water that has one foot of viz? Ain't happening. Even in Puget Sound, where we often have ten feet of viz, you are not going to find anything on the bottom by using a light from the surface, even with the powerful HID lights many of us use.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough, but we plan on diving down to the bottom if necessary. Hence the 20 ft of maximum depth the flashlight would go to. Does that make more sense?

So your looking for a light that is waterproof down to 20 feet?

Maybe I wasn't clear enough, but we plan on diving down to the bottom if necessary. Hence the 20 ft of maximum depth the flashlight would go to. Does that make more sense?

Well, in murk that thick, you're going to want something very bright and reasonably focused, which means you can't search a large area very effectively. But in heavy particulate, a broad beam is like headlights in fog -- it doesn't help you see anything. If a bright spot suffices for your purposes, you might look at the Dorcy Penetrator 220 light as sold by Piranha Manufacturing. They're pretty cheap, very bright, tightly focused, and we have used them as backup lights for a couple of years without any issues.

The intova compact torch 4.7 led light is awesome. It has a very tight beam and is around 140 lumens. Its constructed of aircraft aluminim and is rated to 400 feet. you can find those for around $30 too!! :victory:

You might try, Web Store - Novae: Your #1 source for HID and LED flashlights! . I have the SST50 and it has worked well for me in murky water. Not under your $50 but it performs as well or better than $900 lights. Quite a number of people have reported reliability problems with the light. I have not had any problems yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom