Looking for a dive shop offering 4 dives a day

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You might try contacting Blue Angel. They used to have a boat that also went out in the afternoon but that was a long time ago and things change. Are you nitrox certified? Given the depths of many Coz sites, that may be a useful safety precaution or you could find yourself swimming about 30 feet above the rest of the dive group on your later dives.

The only shop that definitely goes out in the afternoon is Dressel, but we've read some comment here about their "cattle boats", thus are not sure if we should go with them. And BTW, we just found out that Iberostar (where Dressel is based) is sold out on the days we are in Cozumel.

Wouldn't let "cattle boat" comments sway you - that said I'm not trying to build Dressel up as the dive op to use. Just sharing some info. What is true about the Dressel boat is that there could be more divers on the boat but there will be a max of 8 divers per DM (the number of total divers actually allowed on the boat may still be fewer in Nov. due to Covid.) The boat is bigger, so unless they are allowing it to be packed to the gills (unlikely for afternoon dives) you will have plenty of room to move around. The Iberostar - Dressel - is a southern resort so boat rides will be short (5-10 min.) to the sites. You didn't indicate if were looking to stay at a resort that has an onsite dive op, but just because the Iberostar is sold out when you are going to be there doesn't mean Dressel is sold out. You have to book dives through their website which, from experience, is pretty easy - they will send you a list of package options to choose from - most likely you would pay for the number of dives you want to do and then when arriving to Coz or by calling ahead of time, set the days and times up with the onsite shop. The 2 drawbacks to Dressel for me would be transportation (although they may provide transportation) to the Iberostar if you stay someplace else and they do stay on a schedule so dives will be limited to ~45-50 minutes. I did 2 afternoon dives with Dressel 5 years ago and they were well organized; also only had 6 or 7 divers on the boat.

Nitrox would be a must with four dives...a must.

I often do dive vacations of 3 - 4 dives a day for 12 days of straight diving just on air. There is not difference in fatigue for me between nitrox and air. Nitrox better for longer to NDL at depth and shorter surface intervals perhaps.

I often do dive vacations of 3 - 4 dives a day for 12 days of straight diving just on air. There is not difference in fatigue for me between nitrox and air. Nitrox better for longer to NDL at depth and shorter surface intervals perhaps.

Cozumel dives tend to be fairly deep. I never use nitrox in Cozumel, but if I were diving 4 dives/day for several days in a row I definitely would use it. You'll be pretty limited on those 3rd and 4th dives otherwise, unless the dives are unusually shallow.

I'm not sure how you feel about night diving, but a good option for you might be to do 2 tanks in the morning and then one of the twilight dive trips that many ops offer. Those are a late afternoon dive followed by a night dive right after sunset. That way you'd have 3-4 hours between the 2nd and 3rd dive to eat and offgas.

Nitrox better for longer to NDL at depth and shorter surface intervals perhaps.

That's what i used to think until my last liveaboard.

I own a Teric now and if 4 dives per day nitrox required. I would have bent myself on 21 air last trip.

The Air / Nitrox thing is all profile related - you can't compare diving one place to another without looking at the profiles and SI.

One shop here does long lazy SI's - why? Because when you look at their dive profiles, they have an average depth 10' deeper and 20 minutes longer then most others - and that is looking at 100's of dives. Most places will pay attention to it but if not, there's ambulances stationed at the Marina and Money Bar to take you to one of three chambers..

In the last year, I have not dove much day after day stuff so I'd just dive air when using 80's - there's a huge difference with the profiles here that shows up in your second dive. There's some depth here and it's easy to put yourself in a bad spot.....

Come have fun here, dive as much as you can but be safe not frugal....

If you've read much ScubaBoard you probably know that afternoon dives on Cozumel are usually provided on an on demand basis rather than being regularly scheduled like morning dives, and different ops have different policies as to the minimum number of divers and timing for signup. It can be done but you will likely have to deal with it when you get there and be flexible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom