Looking for a dive shop close to Lake Travis that ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In10se

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
... I can use as my LDS. Problem is, I'm a touch on the picky side. I don't wanna pay insane full retail prices, and I wanna rent stuff before I buy it (such as a DSS BPW set-up) so I know it's the right fit for me and/or my SO. For the shop to offer a good variety of specialty courses that are taught by people not freshly certified in the class he/she is giving would truly be a good thing. Considering I'll be paying for two in some of the classes private instruction would seem to be the most bang for the buck on that one.

History:

SSI OW Certed for the SO and I at Tom's Scuba in '07. We have only the logged dives acquired in the course. Becky, our instructor, was great and we'll be bugging her for more as soon as I get home if she is available.

Reason I'm looking for a different location:

Austin trafic sux.

Tom's Scuba was a great shop to do business with. I have nothing but praise for them. They're a very friendly, flexible, well staffed shop ran by the family. I highly recommend anyone who lives close enough to them to do business with them, from my limited experiences there. My problems have nothing at all to do with the staff at Tom's, but are instead totally related to ... location, location, location. Renting air and running all the way back down the hill to the shop when I'm literally minutes from Travis to return tanks and gear is just part of the reason. It also cuts down on the oggling time. You know, the part where you go in the shop and stare at what ya wanna buy? Drool a little, wish you were wealthy so you could buy two of that newest gotta have item? I'm too far away from Tom's to do that with any regularity.

Yeah I'm whining :( I know. I do that sometimes. Humor me. So ... there it is. If anyone has any suggestions that will help me stop whining and spend my time more efficiently so I can plan out more bottom time and less prep time, then please offer them up.

Ehh, sorry 'bout the long post. Dunno why I do that ...

Give Scubaland a call.

I got wind that they're opening a shop in the 620 & Hudson Bend area.

As far as instructors and level of experience, all instructors start as new. You'll have to do a bit of inquiring on that. But I know that depending on the specialty, they'll have instructors with little teaching experience up to those that have significant experience.

Then again, there's Dive World also, further down 620.

Well, good luck in your search.

In10se,

Many of us share your same plight.
Heheh ... love that avi Hemlon. The wife and I got our OW cert's at Aquarena Springs.

Pearldiver07:
Well, good luck in your search.
Thanks for the suggestions and good thoughts Pearldiver07. I'm digging around for a site to scubaland right now.

Heheh ... love that avi Hemlon. The wife and I got our OW cert's at Aquarena Springs.

I've heard that's a nice place to dive. My avi pic was taken in Houston.

PM me if you ever want to dive Travis. My schedule is pretty flexible.

The new Scubaland location is at 620 almost to Anderson Mill rd. , next to bicycle shop in the strip center across 620 from the HEB. I drove by on way out to dive friday morning, not yet open but signage is up and stock is in store.

I live on 620, and hear you about traffic into town. Oak Hill Scuba is the opposite side of the world from me, but I consider them my favorite LDS and give Mack a shot at any major purchase when he carries what I am looking for and can offer a competitive price. I have also used Tom's off and on since 80's, and Scubaland North does my Scubapro reg service. Currently Dive World gets my air and last minute nick-nack business, when scubaland opens on 620 I will be checking out that location as well. I love checking out internet sites and other dive shops for new items and sometimes just walk in for the sweet smell of neoprene :wink: But I try to spend most of my scuba (and other) money locally if possible and not economically prohibitive.

Hope to see ya out divin' sometime.

I've got a few BP/W setups in rental. Feel free to come by the shop and see what we have to offer. We get the majority of tech divers in the area, so there are folks around to offer their advice on what makes a good configuration.

As for instructors, their experience runs from a few weeks, to over a decade. I think the key part of finding an instructor is choosing one that you like and feel you can best learn from. One thing that sets us apart is the diversity of our instructor base.

When it comes to the shopping experience, I try to treat people as fairly as they treat me. If you are looking at a major purchase, give us a shot. Let me know if you found a great deal online and chances are I can meet or beat it (ask K-Valve). If I cannot beat the price, I will explain why. Also, develop a relationship with your LDS. Its a fact of life, that repeat customers tend to get treated better, if for no other reason than that we know them. When I sell you a piece of gear, it will be something that you want, not what I want to sell you.

The new Scubaland location is at 620 almost to Anderson Mill rd. , next to bicycle shop in the strip center across 620 from the HEB. I drove by on way out to dive friday morning, not yet open but signage is up and stock is in store.

I live on 620, and hear you about traffic into town. Oak Hill Scuba is the opposite side of the world from me, but I consider them my favorite LDS and give Mack a shot at any major purchase when he carries what I am looking for and can offer a competitive price. I have also used Tom's off and on since 80's, and Scubaland North does my Scubapro reg service. Currently Dive World gets my air and last minute nick-nack business, when scubaland opens on 620 I will be checking out that location as well. I love checking out internet sites and other dive shops for new items and sometimes just walk in for the sweet smell of neoprene :wink: But I try to spend most of my scuba (and other) money locally if possible and not economically prohibitive.

Hope to see ya out divin' sometime.

I live in the apartments next to the new Wallyworld. Sooo close to the lake sometimes it's just more than I can stand to not be in it or on it when I'm in Austin. I 'preciate the tips and guidance.

Hemlon:
PM me if you ever want to dive Travis. My schedule is pretty flexible.
Thanks for the offer Hemlon and you can count on seeing that pm hit your inbox sometime soon ... :)

I look forward to making everyone chuckle as I do all that dumb newbness stuff that newbs always do. Just don't send me after the diving equivalent of a sky hook or a left-handed-monkey-wrench as I get broke in.

I've got a few BP/W setups in rental. Feel free to come by the shop and see what we have to offer. We get the majority of tech divers in the area, so there are folks around to offer their advice on what makes a good configuration.

As for instructors, their experience runs from a few weeks, to over a decade. I think the key part of finding an instructor is choosing one that you like and feel you can best learn from. One thing that sets us apart is the diversity of our instructor base.

When it comes to the shopping experience, I try to treat people as fairly as they treat me. If you are looking at a major purchase, give us a shot. Let me know if you found a great deal online and chances are I can meet or beat it (ask K-Valve). If I cannot beat the price, I will explain why. Also, develop a relationship with your LDS. Its a fact of life, that repeat customers tend to get treated better, if for no other reason than that we know them. When I sell you a piece of gear, it will be something that you want, not what I want to sell you.

PM sent Mack. Thanks for the response. I look forward to doing some business with you.

I live in the apartments next to the new Wallyworld. Sooo close to the lake sometimes it's just more than I can stand to not be in it or on it when I'm in Austin. I 'preciate the tips and guidance.

Thanks for the offer Hemlon and you can count on seeing that pm hit your inbox sometime soon ... :)

I look forward to making everyone chuckle as I do all that dumb newbness stuff that newbs always do. Just don't send me after the diving equivalent of a sky hook or a left-handed-monkey-wrench as I get broke in.

PM sent Mack. Thanks for the response. I look forward to doing some business with you.

Mack will take good care of you as will Nick and the rest of his staff, and with both the new Scubaland and Dive World here on 620, air and other quickly needed pre/post dive items are pretty close at hand. I have my own steel 72 but rent al80's from Dive World most dive weekends so can make 2nd dive without trip to shop.

As far as dumb newbness, that is just the learning process and we all went through it at some point. Give me a shout when you get back in town and want to dive, my work schedule can sometimes be 'finessed' to give me a morning or afternoon free during week and gives me most weekends free. I promise to show you all my favorite spots to dive if you take me out in that bass boat of yours :wink: :D

You got a deal on that one.

Back
Top Bottom