looking for a digi cam, any suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well it looks like I lead you down a dead end. Very sorry. That is a great camera and you are correct the internal flash will not work in that housing. To answer the other question, you have to have a flash, underwater. You will not be satisfied with out the flash, everything will be very blue with no other colors.

So it does look like you will need an external flash. One option is to look on e-bay for a good used UW strobe. This might save you a bunch of money.

It does also look like you will need a dealer. Go to www.ikelite.com for a listing. There is one in Tel Aviv.

I ran into the same "ikelite housing port" is blocked by the internal flash on a Nikon 5900 and Ikelite housing. I loved the heft and quality feel of the Ikelite, but which PnS type camera DOESN'T have its flashed block by that large large port, or is this a trait of Ikelite?.

I have a Canon G3 with a matching Ikelite housing, and I spent approximately 1000 for the whole setup. Its an awesome setup, and the camera takes better pictures than the smaller digital cameras that are out there (better lens i think ). There are also more options for adjusting exposure and flash and compression. The G3 is discontinued now, however. I would definately go with an Ikelite housing....very awesome and within your budget. They also have the option of adding an external strobe later. You might take a look at the Canon G6....a really great camera with a great Ikelite housing.

It's ok, Cecil, I still have a great above water camera. I should've done more research.
btw, I've found the dealer

talked to a friend the other day, he's also got a Canon, though I'm not sure which moldel. he told me that he could take his cam to 45m, maybe even 50m, he could take photos at 45m, but couldn't change settings. anyway, I'm thinking of buying the regular housing.

I also wanted to ask these questions
1. Are strobes that better than built in flash? if so, how? Are they worth the money?
2. If I want to take a photo of an uw panorama, do I need a wide angle lens? Or can I just use the "photo stitch" software?

I can get the extra money for strobes, but I was saving for DM, EFR and rescue courses. Plus I'll be broke. I can't buy from e-bay, though I do have some friends who can find me used strobes. Even then it would be too much and I'd be broke.
In fact, if being broke was a pond, it'd be over my head in depth, I'd be without a regultor, and there would be a sign next to the pond saying "here lies the diver that spent all his money on camera, and didn't have enough to do his annual regulator check".

The Canon housing is a good housing and there is good chance that it will work at that depth. The seal around the o-ring gets better the deeper you go (it is compressed). The issue is the controls may not work. Their o-rings compress the shaft making it harder to operate with more pressure.

Now about external flashes, my opinion is that they are overrated (and overpriced). The theory is that off axis lighting is the only way to eliminate backscatter. If you get close enough to your subject there is very little backscatter. Backscatter can also be removed during editing. An external flash will also give you a bit more range.

May people including myself get great pictures without an external flash. They get close and use the internal flash.

You can stitch together UW pictures and a number of people have posted UW panoramas.

We carry the DC 500 Sealife and its seem to be a hit for that price range. I personally own one and love it. The assessories are also a bit less expensive than others. Paul mentioned ScubaToys and they are good guys.....no one is a better dude than Larry....however we have them at the same price......however, just mention ScubaBoard and we'll take care of you.

Happy Diving

hmmm, ok, thx for the advice.
$245 for Canon housing (not including VAT) or
$400 for Ikelite housing + $555 for strobes and mount=$ 955 (not including VAT)
so 955-245=$710 difference= a little less than a months DM's salary.
that's just to go down another 20m and have a bit more quality(is it just me, or is uw photography VERY expensive)...

I think I'll just buy the Canon housing

btw if I go too deep with the Canon housing(for example 60m/200ft), what will happen to it?

UW photography is very expensive. Just ask anyone with a DSLR, $5,000 and up.

Not sure what will happen to the housing but there have been reports from different people about exceeding their housing's depth rating without any harm. I can not remember any examples of a flooding due to depth. I have taken my housing to 36 meters with a 30 meter rating with no harm.

well, I checked my local store, they said that they'll only get Canon A610 housing in April, looks like I'll just have to wait

External strobes aren't mandatory, but they are an excellent thing to have. And with a good initial buy, the strobe will move with you for years and years to come.

Yes, the internal flash is fine for close ups in its range and is a great starting point. But the internal flash is very limited.

In some housings on some models you will get a shadow in the corner(s) if you are too close to your critter/scene, so even though the camera can focus to get the shot, the flash can't cover it correctly.

Backing off just a few inches can make or break backscatter and the shot. External strobes allow you to manipulate the light so you can create moods, light in hard to reach places and reduce backscatter under a great many scenarios.

You will also be able to light some or all of a wider angle scene with externals. Internal flashes generally do have some sort of power output control but it is limited; external strobes, good ones, allow you to adjust how much light output you want. This is essential as you expand your diving and shooting skills.

External strobes should be on your "to get" list - but there is no rush to have everything right now. Learn your camera and what it can do, save some cash, set up your priorities and then choose a strobe that suits your needs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom