looking for a digi cam, any suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fyodor_Sumkin

Registered
Reaction score
hi,
I'm new to photography. I want to start and I'm looking for a digital camera.
1. It must go at least 50m
2. I want to continue with photography and want advanced features for future use
3. budget of around $1000

Thanks, any help would be appreciated

If you're new to photography, you might consider a camera offering full automatic functions and also manual settings features.

Have a look at Canon A95 for a nice features set. The casing offered by Canon is guaranteed to 40m, but you can find other casings for it.

I have the A80 and it rocks :D

thx, went and checked out my local camera store, but they said that Canon doesn't manufacture A-95's any more:(... besides I need a cam that goes to 50m(there's a great place I found at 50m near where I live). I checked nearly all of the local shops, and none of them seem to have cameras/housing for these depths. :(

thanks Cecil. The cam and housing look good, now I just have to ask the dealer in my country if they have the housing.

I would order the UW housing directly from Ikelite, not sure you need a dealer.

Many of my friends use the Canon and they are very satisfied with the results. The A620 looks like a nice camera. Let us know how it works out.

Thanks for the help, I've bought the cannon A610
I really want Ikelite housing so that the cam can go deep, but there's a problem with it, the camera flash is blocked by the lens port of the housing. It will cost me an additional $555 for all the strobe components, and that's way over budget. :'(
I think I'll have to weigh in my options...
p.s how can I buy directly from Ikelite?
p.p.s how will my photos look if I don't buy the strobes?

Fyodor_Sumkin:
hi,
I'm new to photography. I want to start and I'm looking for a digital camera.
1. It must go at least 50m
2. I want to continue with photography and want advanced features for future use
3. budget of around $1000

Thanks, any help would be appreciated

Sealife DC500 Elite package - about $900 from ScubaToys

http://www.sealife-cameras.com/cameras/dc500_elite.html

Paul in VT

Fyodor_Sumkin:
Thanks for the help, I've bought the cannon A610
I really want Ikelite housing so that the cam can go deep, but there's a problem with it, the camera flash is blocked by the lens port of the housing. It will cost me an additional $555 for all the strobe components, and that's way over budget. :'(
I think I'll have to weigh in my options...
p.s how can I buy directly from Ikelite?
p.p.s how will my photos look if I don't buy the strobes?
You can get by with using manual white balance when unless your shooting critters up close. Up close, that internal flash or external strobe comes in handy. If you buy the ikelite housing, let us know how it works for you. Been looking at that housing myself since I can then use add-on lenses with the housing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom