Looking for >= 8 megapixel digital camera with filter threads

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I've been looking at the digital point-and-shoot cameras and find the lenses of most of the current models in the inexpensive price range (under $200) do not offer threads for attaching filters. My most recent dig camera is a Nikon Coolpix 950 which is a low res (2 megapixel) camera but has filter threads.

I need a camera I can attach to one of my microscope adapters so I can take stills of structures on marine life for my videos. I'd prefer one of at least 8 megapixels with a filter thread size of 28mm (same as my Coolpix). However, I can always get an adapter for different thread sizes.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Olympus SP models have filter threads. You need a CLA adapter that threads over the lens. They vary in size according to model. The SP-565 that is most current uses a CLA10 adapter, which has a 55mm thread. Others are 34, 40.5, etc. You can get the specs on line by Googling the CLA # and "thread size". Olympus just tells you which camera fits which adapter and which WA or telephoto lens goes on it. I believe most of the A series Canons share this feature. I know I've seen aftermarket telephotos for them. Most seem to include the adapter tube. The A570 or A590 would be in the price range you're looking for.

Thanks, I'll check that out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom