Look But Don't Touch Unless

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cdiver2:
I could do that but when strangers on a boat start I can not be polite indefinitely in fact I have a short fuse when someone gets in my face.

I've never had anyone give me any grief over it, except in forums like this. Of course, I don't usually follow guides around. If someone were to get in my face, I'd tell them to get an education and learn what can and what cannot be safely touched. When in doubt, don't touch. Touch the Sea

NWGratefulDiver:
I will touch ... but selectively. After all, if you don't touch 'em you can't eat 'em ...

With respect to photography, I prefer to take pictures as I find things ... just makes for a more natural setting. If they're in a position where I can't get a good shot, I'll generally leave 'em alone. Occasionally I'll nudge or move a subject ... but only if I KNOW that doing so will not harm the creature ...

Reasonable approach.

I could do that but when strangers on a boat start I can not be polite indefinitely in fact I have a short fuse when someone gets in my face.

Sometimes it is better not to be polite at all, it leaves no doubt about your feelings. I'm not saying to be nasty, but firmly inform them to mind their own business. Just ask my wife, she is an expert at this art form.

I love watching her in action. It always brings a smile to my face. I'll never forget the moron DM asking her (as she was almost napping), "Are you in distress? Are you in distress?" as we were chilling on the surface and she had her mask on her forehead.

My approach is similar to Gratefuldiver.
I also like taking pics as I find them. It gives me a challenge and I figure it's more 'natural' looking.
Having been involved in the marine aquarium hobby for several years which include propogating corals mostly by fragging (cutting them up), I have a reasonable idea of tolorance for quite a few corals, etc. That being said, those years have only made me respect the reef even more, so I tend to want to just move around & quietly admire what I see.
I do agree with the idea of divers educating themselves. To me this would mute the whole touch or don't touch argument. I kinda think it is our responsibility.

I am pretty well versed in the Marine Ornamental field as well. I can readily identify almost anything I run across no matter where I am. As a result, I am fairly cavalier about touching stuff. But I am always aware of the risk of damage or stress for any organism and I carefully evaluate my own actions.

Most people I dive with have no idea what all the 'neat things' covering the rocks are. They could easily do permanent damage or even kill almost anything they touched not realizing just how fragile these things actually are.

Plus, I always tell people that I am more concerned about the stuff growing on the rocks hurting me more than sharks. Anyone ever brush against hydroids and you will know what I am talking about. Sharks have to make a decision to attack a person (not usually part of their normal mode of decision making choices), a hydroid or anemone is a reflexive attack and there is no thought driving their sting.

I think the risk of injury is just as much a reason that the 'dont touch rule' was created as the risk of damage to the corals and other life on the rocks.

And there are always going to be overzealous people who do not understand why a rule is in place, yet will loudly advocate it. They only respond to an equally loud and thoughtless rebuke.

Do what you think is right. If you are not breaking a law, then whoever is hassling you is in the wrong. Period.

If you are not breaking a law, then whoever is hassling you is in the wrong. Period.

I wasn't going to add anything to this thread as this topic comes up over and over again (and so it should, it's an important one for all divers). But this statement made me fall off my chair - that's so naive and narrow-viewed, imho. There's a whole gamut of things that may not be illegal but that sure as shootin' don't make 'em right.

I had a quick look at the shots by Doubilet, and I have to say that few impressed me and none of the staged ones floated my boat at all. Dulls-ville, but it sure did get a lot more people looking thanks to the conversations it started.

I agree with alcina. The DD photos were nice but not spectacular IMHO.

Walter posted a great link and that's the way I work. I have rarely touched anything I'm not sure about harming and that was more by accident. I do know that a lot of photographers move and group things like nudis together which is not "against the law" but I don't agree with it. I have used a pointer stick to have a Crinoid Shrimp, for example, scoot around to the front of a crinoid to give me a shot. Not touching but just being close. I don't see much wrong with this.

Since I dive solo a lot, it gives me the luxury of waiting for a good shot. Many divers who dive in groups don't have that kind of time to wait for the shot and do end up disturbing the subjects. If you know what you are doing, then you won't be doing any harm.

I fall into the don't touch category, unless you are doing specific research. I am not a biologist but am a volunteer at the local aquarium, dive there, have taken hours of classes and actively dealing with marine biologist on a weekly basis.

They all admit any handling of a subject causes it some stress, bottom line. So Why Do It??? Face it no photo you are capturing is worth stressing out the subject you claim to admire and appreciate. End of rant, thanks….

Touch, don't touch. Feed, don't feed--divers are going to do what they will do. Rules, understood or not, may help a bit but let's face it. For an occasionally sophisticated species we pretty much do what we want and pick and choose our justifications for doing so. Sometimes the reasoning is scientific or just common sense, often times it's "because I say so". Above or below water photogs tend to either shoot things as they find them--or mess around to "improve" the shot. (I'm reminded of a story about a National Geo shooter setting off exposive devices in a wildlife refuge to get the "perfect" shot of massed of birds in flight.)

Good to have these discussions though, since they may help a bit with some folks. However, I've probably seen more damage created unknowingly by photogs with abysmal bouyancy skills, pushing newly rented camera rigs into coral (or trashing things with careless fin kicks) than has occured by knowledgeable divers gently moving something to a better background. Get in either type of divers face? Not at the risk of getting reactions like I've heard in this thread. So yeah--I'll mind my own business. And hope some education or a thread like this may help improve things.

Realistically though it is a BIG ocean and in comparison, a few divers here and there messing up isn't really what is causing the planet's BIG problems. It's all of us. The entire semi-sophisticated species. Consuming, plundering, over-populating--heck, even just trying to innocently enjoy ourselves on vacation. Anyone catch the latest news? A lot of coral bleaching is now believed to be caused by washed off sunscreen. Sheesh, we don't even have to touch anything to upset an entire eco-system. Still, the idea of messing around with critters to get a better shot? Why not just become better with Photoshop? Create whatever "reality" you want and let the critters alone.

Oh jeez. A rant. Time to mind my own business. Think I'll just go sit in the corner with my mask on my forehead and wonder why I'm not diving... // ww

I also touch, but very carefully. I have had conversations with several "big names" (including the one mentioned) and the impression they gave me is that the photos are their bread and butter....they are professionals and they can take more liberties....the ends justify the means....

I'm sorry, but breaking off whole branches of coral that are in the way of a better shot, is neither professional or acceptable. Nor is stabbing another diver with a muck stick for "getting to close to his photo" acceptable. Yes, RK, that means you.

Careful touching is less destructive than picking up that toad in your backyard. however, major manipulation is not, IMHO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom