Look But Don't Touch Unless

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cdiver2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am reading an article in National Geographic (June 08) on Nudibranchs lots of great photos and some unknown information (to me) like the male and female each have male and female reproductive organs and each lay eggs.

On the last page of NG there is a section called Inside Geographic and there is a photograph of David Doubilet with an underwater studio photographing Nudis that he says he had moved to the UW studio to show of there colors better. (The article did say most of the photographs were taken were he found them).

In this day and age of look but don't touch for divers, are Professional photographs ! excluded?. If so what kind of example is it setting for want to be professional photographers.

surprised you haven't had any responses here. maybe ask your thread to be moved to the photo section?

there is a huge thread about this on Wetpixel if you are interested...
Doubilet's Nudi Beauty! - Wetpixel :: Underwater Photography Forums

Disappointed yes but surprised no. I get the feeling on this board that it is taboo with a lot of people to criticize professionals.

Thanks for the link (WP is down at the moment). Are there the same complaints on WP?

I just read the entire thread over on WP. Very interesting responses, for and against.

I'm interested to see the responses here. Thanks for posting this cdiver2.

Could a Mod please move this thread to underwater photography? Thanks.

I'm 100% for look but don't touch for recreational diving and photography. (Scientific studies would be ok) We all know how people are, if they see professionals touching and moving creatures, they will think it is acceptable to do.

Futhermore, I feel that pictures have more value and take a lot more skill to take in a creatures natural environment. I've taken pictures in aquariums before - but they mean nothing compared to the ones I took underwater in a natural environment.

Just my 2cents...

I touch things. Instead of having a blanket look but don't touch attitude, do a little study and know what you can touch without doing harm to either the creature or yourself, then touch away.

I touch things. Instead of having a blanket look but don't touch attitude, do a little study and know what you can touch without doing harm to either the creature or yourself, then touch away.

:D Walter these were my sentiments but it is not a very popular idea by a lot of people ON THIS BOARD.

You will hear "it encourages others to do it that may not be as experienced"

I myself have backed off due to other divers (strangers) complaining. Nothing as drastic as DD but maybe move a bit of growth to one side (not uprooting) with a finger, or put a dab of anchovy paste into a location I want a fish to go to.

A recent trip was ruined by a DM. My wife with a Nikons V and framer, the DM would not let her put a framer anywhere near a sea fan (or anything Else to get a shot of a Pygmy Sea Horse, but he happily would bend the Sea Fan over with his hand looking for them.
But as I have said we have backed off, now there are a lot less photos and a lot less keepers.

Ignore the morons.

I could do that but when strangers on a boat start I can not be polite indefinitely in fact I have a short fuse when someone gets in my face.

I will touch ... but selectively. After all, if you don't touch 'em you can't eat 'em ... :D

With respect to photography, I prefer to take pictures as I find things ... just makes for a more natural setting. If they're in a position where I can't get a good shot, I'll generally leave 'em alone. Occasionally I'll nudge or move a subject ... but only if I KNOW that doing so will not harm the creature ...

... Bob (Grateful diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom