Longdong Bay and N/E Coast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wantonmien

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

Seems no ones ever posted any views from N/E Coast Taiwan, so here's a few of my pics from dives the last couple of weekends. Viz not too clever, as coral spawning so water a bit 'mucky' but nice varied dives and plenty of life.

A few in here, ScubaBoard Gallery - Longdong Bay and N/E Coast Taiwan

with selection below.

Cheers

Water with lot's of coral spawn, but this Sea Slug (or Sea rabbit) well over 40 cm (well over a foot) long ! - never realised they grew so big, or moved so fast ! Right side, for scale that's my buddy hose in the pic. Big slug !

This little guy hiding in anemone all of 1 cm long

Young scorpion fish

A young smiling moray, with a natural tongue looking mark !

A few more pics from Longdong bay area last weekend - hot sunny day, 3 dives - Canyons, Squid farm, Secret Garden ..

Unusual and large - pretty difficult to miss this guys colour !

OK common to see - but still can't resist a picture.

A Scorpion fish of sorts, spotted at the very end of dive

Face to face - handsome guy !

Stretch ...

This guy was on guard - further in the small 'cave' his big brother sat watching !

Brown to Grey to Beige to Purple - no matter the colour the Octopus just could not get in the hole !

In an area of strong surge, just had to get a shot of this guy - great colour.

Unusual colouration ?

A few more in here - ScubaBoard Gallery - Longdong Bay and N/E Coast Taiwan of similar things !

Great pics! Thanks wantonmien for sharing. I will be travelling to Taipei and would like to do some diving, it seems that Pioneer is the recommend LDS for this area. Although I do speak mandarin, I feel much comfortable with a dive shop that speaks english. Does the Longdong area get pretty busy with divers?

Hi chemdog,

Thanks for the feedback, nice to see a comment or two, cheers. I'll post a few more pics from Longdong in next few days, as made a nightdive up there last Saturday, and some different life.

In Longdong, there are two shops right next to eachother, Pioneer and Divers Inn, I use Pioneer mainly for the spoken English but you'll find on any Saturday/Sunday you'll maybe get half a dozen foreigners and say 30 Taiwanese or more using the shops. In the bay, one site (near school) gets a bit busy, but the other sites, nah not busy, lots of open water and rarely bump into other divers in the water.

When you do head over, and plan diving, drop me a PM and if days are ok, you can hook up with myself and my buddies, no problem.

Cheers

Night in Longdong

A few more views from Longdong area, this time from a Night dive last Saturday 09 July 2011 - could do with a second strobe on some pics, but kind of like the 'darkside' sinister/spooky look on a few pics :wink:

Another unusual Nudi

from the side

Face to face - Would be better without the back scatter, but not into editing !

Yeh a second strobe would illuminate - but the features of the scorpion leaf fish deserve a darkside :wink:

From the dark - I like this.

On a mission and out for a walk - banded shrimp

Largest grouper I've seen in the area, almost a metre long - but shy for a pose !

by day not interested in posing - but by night, no problem

He's dinner for someone if not careful - resting on rock a few cm away from grouper !

A Tiny guy constantly wriggling but caught on the macro

Saw it's brother by day - and at night, difficult to miss !

Fast asleep on the seabed - could have picked up him and his colleagues !

Dropped a few more in ScubaBoard Gallery - Longdong Bay and N/E Coast Taiwan - and maybe will add some shoaling stuff in future, or maybe some other Taiwan diver will add ?

cheers

thanks for the help wantonmien. I'll shoot you a PM sometime later, I'd like to dive during the week to avoid crowds.

Great pics, Wantonmien

I'm going to assume that you stayed clear of the area this weekend?

We thought that we'd miss any mess caused by the distant typhoon by going out Mon. 18th, but lo! The coast was a disaster!

Nobody could say we didn't try ... we searched and searched, but there was just no diving to be had ... we called it all off after completing a little Bitou dip.

Maybe we'll have better luck next time.

Keep me informed if you're intending on going out over the next few weekends -

Weekend 27/28 Aug just gone ... No Chance of diving at Longdong or N/E coast with large Typhoon looming, and the water white -- but weekend before, nice, headed around towards Yilan for a late afternoon dive and a night dive. Viz pretty lousy, and backscatter galore in lots of photos - but a couple of decent sights, especially the stone/shell covered crabs. Also saw large octopus, moorish idols galore, found a gulley completely covered in anemones and full of clown fish, plus jacks and the like - though am still hoping some other Taiwan divers add a few sample pics of the area !!

IMG_5137.JPG

Turtle island in the distance, and about to make entry

IMG_52341.JPG

Young eel wanders around looking for dinner

IMG_5230.JPG

Enjoying a sleep

IMG_52222.JPG

Inquisitive box fish ... with backscatter !

IMG_51941.JPG

A large Box Cowfish - makes a ghostly appearance from the dark ... pity about the backscatter !

IMG_52071.JPG

Hermit complete with his affixed anemones

IMG_52163.JPG

The most well disguised Crab ever - completely covered in stone and shell fragments

IMG_5205.JPG

Yes it's a crab .. clever disguise !

IMG_49391.JPG

Unusual coloured Nudi

IMG_51851.JPG

Common puffer - but a nice pose at night

IMG_4981-2.JPG

Close up

IMG_4966.JPG

Pose

IMG_4947.JPG

A group of at least 7 lobsters were hanging out under a shelf - in a straight line

IMG_5177.JPG

Snoozing at night

IMG_5174.JPG

Young Moray - with Tail !

Whereas this Moray at least 2 metres long - as his fat body and tail extended behind the rock !
IMG_51992.JPG

WOW. What fantastic pictures. Thank you.

What camera is this (lens, settings, etc.) and what was the light arrangement?

Thanks

And ..........

Huhhhh Huhhhh Huhhhhh .......... He ssssssssaid Longdong !!!

Yea Yea / mmmmmmm mmmmmmm .......... Londong !!!

(supposed to be Beavis and Butthead) - Sorry lol, couldn't resist :D

Back
Top Bottom