Long wrist strap of Aeris Atmos Elite

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pvak

Reaction score
I just received my Aeris Atmos Elite air integrated wrist mount computer. This may seem like a silly question but what have people been doing with the excessively long wrist strap? I don't have skinny arms nor are they huge either but after buckling on the computer I have quite a lot of excess strap sticking up into the air even with my dry suit on. With a 3mm wet suit; forget-about-it! :). I'd hate to cut off the excess but it looks like that's what I may end up doing as the way it is, it's just going to snag into things. Any suggestions out there?
Peter

You can get a replacement strap that isn't quite so long. Here's one I found quickly:
http://s1059kxm.leisurepro.com/weba...6&cgrfnbr=976&parentCategory=974&sort=prsdesc

However, I'd rather have a strap that has a little better attachment than velcro. My LDS sells waterborne (I think that's the name) replacement straps for watches, etc. The Elite band basically attaches like a very wide watch. Compress those lug springs and you can put a shorter replacement strap on it.

Thanks! Someone else also mentioned "waterborne straps" to me. I found out that they are availabl in 1 in. wide versions which is the width I would need for the Elite. I think I'm going to give that a try before I butcher the strap that came with the computer. :)
Peter

I contacted Aeris to let them know of my "long strap" woes and to ask them if they had any reasonable solutions. I received a rather brief and dissapointing e-mail from them which wasn't very impressive. They claimed that the length of the strap was designed on purpose to accomodate the thickest arms, gloves and dry suits possible. Well, that may be so, but in doing so they certainly didn't do any favors for the other 95% of times when one wants to wear the computer with a thinner suit or even bare armed. The problem is not so much the length but the stiffness of the strap and the impossibility of tucking in any excess.
The solution as proposed by Aeris? Take it to your local dive shop and have them cut the excess off for you. Well, DUH! Why didn't I think of that?! What a wonderful and elegant solution for a $1000 instument. Brilliant! The bottom line is that Aeris does not offer a shorter strap or a softer strap for the Elite. So, one has to look to the aftermarket. They also suggested that if I can't wear it on my wrist, I should buy their $60 retractor clip and dangle it off my BC. Yeah! Like that's going to happen!
I bought a Waterborne strap (1" wide) which looks and works great and fits perfectly on the Elite. I can't say that it would be long enough for the thickest dry suits and gloves but it works quite well with mine at least. If I ever change my drysuit and need a longer strap I would consider the Dive Rite-Nitek elastic strap. Switching the Waterborne with the Nitek is quick and easy. Meanwhile I'll keep the original Aeris strap locked away in a safe as a cherished family heirloom. :)
Peter

Your experience is similar to that which I have experienced from Aeris. The dealer who sold me my Atmos Pro a couple of years ago made them sound like a progressive company which was very aggressive about meeting changing market demands and utilizing the latest technology in their product line. As I became more knowledgeable I found that the download software only worked with Windows 98 (ugh) and utilized serial port connections (with no plans to utilize the convenience of USB). When I enquired as to the software upgrades to Windows XP I was told it was coming. That was about a year ago. The last time I talked to their support phone number I was told no plans for XP and no USB.

I still keep abreast of their product line but I'm unlikely to purchase again without considerable research (more than is available on their website).

Has anyone heard of any better options from Aeris?

I was just on the Aeris Website. Under the Software Link I see a download for USB connection and the Software lists WINXP.

DOuble check me to make sure I was looking at the right thing.

CCW

I just got (today), my USB VT Pro cable (same as Aeris Elite). Supposedly, the software has been updated in the last couple of days as well. I already let another guy at the shop borrow it, but I'll let you know sometime next week if it's any good or not...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom