Long Term Risks of Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ShakaZulu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Scuba tanks does not come with a warning, but if they did, it might read:

Not recommended for children under 12. Chronic overuse can lead to hearing loss, joint degeneration, increased airway resistance, vision problems and brain damage...........

http://www.scuba-doc.com/LTE.htm

Can anyone backup these allegations with regard to recreational diving?

So, I guess it's all rumors then?

ShakaZulu:
So, I guess it's all rumors then?

These studies are for commercial/saturation divers, the subclinical expectations are extrapolated from the data. Rec divers should have no worries, absent PFO or other physiological issues. I have been diving for close to 30 years and (twitch twitch) seem to have no problems, twitch shake...

Long term scuba diving leads to ... a ripe old age and eventually death from natural causes. I think it heals more than it hurts. For all the young people these days dying from stress related heart disease, a few hours sucking gas in God's glorious underwater kingdom certainly won't make that stress any worse, it might even add a cubit to their lifespan.

Causes ADD
Always Diving Deep

DiverBuoy:
Long term scuba diving leads to ... a ripe old age and eventually death from natural causes. I think it heals more than it hurts...

Right on. Nobody can phone you underwater. No e-mail underwater either. The quiet is only interrupted by the occaisional sound of fish muching on the coral, or by a ship passing by nearby in the channel. Neutral buoyancy has to be good for the joints.

DiverBuoy:
Long term scuba diving leads to ... a ripe old age and eventually death from natural causes. I think it heals more than it hurts. For all the young people these days dying from stress related heart disease, a few hours sucking gas in God's glorious underwater kingdom certainly won't make that stress any worse, it might even add a cubit to their lifespan.

Amen to that.

I am not aware of any long term problems in recreational divers. Commercial divers can get aseptic bone necrosis, however.

DiverBuoy:
... a ripe old age and eventually death from natural causes. ...
In other words, it still leads to death.
-=[Pessimist]=-

Got an irritating case of bony exostosis, aka "surfer's ear", where the ear canal narrows, making all sorts of mischief. It's more common in cold water divers & people spending lots of time in the wind, wet, & cold.
That's why I get the shivers when someone whacks the hood off their drysuit. :11:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom