long term diving effects

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some points possibly worth considering, Jon, and for the nonce I withdraw my remark.

I do agree that Dr. Harch is a pioneer of sorts who has made real contributions with his advancement of HBOT. He appears to be a dedicated physician and to have patients' best interests at heart. And I find much in his book, “The Oxygen Revolution: Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy: The Groundbreaking New Treatment for Stroke, Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, Arthritis, Autism, Learning Disabilities and More” (Paul G. Harch and Virginia McCullough (Apr. 24, 2007),” to be of at least theoretical interest.

However, as long as you maintain an overtly pugnacious stance, e.g., "I believe your statement might be considered libelous" and "But DocVikingo, it sounded to me like you called Harch a quack?", and don’t provide specifics for your assertions, e.g., "Peer reviewed research by hundreds of doctors around the world finds efficacy for HBOT for ~132 maladies....", I see little point in further pursuing the issues. To me you seem more interested in antagonism, ranting and punching it up than in examining the science or evidence.

BTW, I don't accept the anecdotal report by Judge/Retired General Maney as anything other than that. This hardly is substantive proof that his improvement was the result of HBOT rather than spontaneous recovery or the eventual benefit of his non-HBOT treatment. And on the topic of anecdotal, I’d similarly classify the various and sundry cases presented on page #2 of the following “Medical Bulletin” by Dr. Harch -- http://www.hbotreatment.com/Hyperbaric Oxygenation can repair and restore damaged brain.pdf

Finally, in my experience, those who see drug company conspiracies, e.g., "Nowhere but the USA has HBOT been so suppressed for treating these neurological maladies (which are maladies targeted by patented pharmaceuticals)" behind cautious and conservative approaches to accepting new medical technologies, off-label uses and the like, are difficult to engage in rational discourse. Relatedly, while I fail to see the relevance of your screed against DoD MD's who prescribe psychotropics for vets and the inappropriate marketing of such medication to the topic at hand (that is HBOT), I do believe it also suggests some form of personal issues with drug companies, the military, or both.

On positive side, Jon, you do get very high marks for enthusiasm and prolixity.

Regards,

DocVikingo

PS: Thanks that massive photo of the 2008 International Congress on Hyperbaric Medicine in Beijing. I found it brought much to the substance of this discussion.

Prolixity? (With apologies to The Bard) DocVikingo doth protest too much, methinks.

I’m neither philoxenist nor philopolemicist. Just one grown weary when sins of omission, designed to maximize profits, contribute to needless deaths and injuries.

Does anyone have more information on this topic? I have family dive friends who pushed their bodies far past recreational depths, experienced DCS a time or two and now have neurological issues in their old age. It seems there is still no direct correlation between regular diving and these neurological problems but it is not very challenging to find ex-divers that suffer from such ailments.

It appears similar symptoms result from nitrous oxide abuse as depicted in this article:

Could such symptoms be caused by excessive nitrogen build up in the body?

Does anyone have more information on this topic? I have family dive friends who pushed their bodies far past recreational depths, experienced DCS a time or two and now have neurological issues in their old age. It seems there is still no direct correlation between regular diving and these neurological problems but it is not very challenging to find ex-divers that suffer from such ailments.

It appears similar symptoms result from nitrous oxide abuse as depicted in this article:

Could such symptoms be caused by excessive nitrogen build up in the body?
It has nothing to do with whippets, but this article seems to suggest that neurological DCS is associated with long-term cognitive deficits.

Best regards,
DDm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom