Long Term Accomodation Curacao or Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

glamourpuss

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
A while ago I started a thread asking for advice on where to spend three months in the Caribbean. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/greater-caribbean-bermuda/320781-3-months-caribbean-where-base-ourselves.html

Since then we've been bouncing around... spent 3 months in Roatan, then went up to Belize, and then spent 4 months in Playa Del Carmen & Cozumel... We're now back in Roatan for another 3 months and are just starting to look at where to go next. We think we've narrowed it down to either Curacao or Bonaire, the problem is we're having a hard time finding accommodation within our budget (under $1000/month).

Ideally we'd like to stay for 3 months, in a furnished apartment with a kitchen and most importantly internet.

Does anyone have any suggestions/links to places that might fit that, or may be willing to negotiate on a 3 month rate?

Try the "Dive Bus" in Curacao...I think Suzy and Mark can help you out....Also, when are you coming to Bonaire? I may have a studio apartment that would work for you.

Thanks!

Had a quick look at some of the links on the Dive Bus site. At first glance the options are still pretty expensive ($65/night x 30 =$1950/month). But I'll contact a couple and see if they'll do long term rates.

We're thinking mid January - mid April, but if we can't find something for under $1000/month we might have to look somewhere else.

It's more than you want to spend but Piscadera Bay Resort rents long-term starting at $1600/mo. Piscadera Bay Resort - click on rates even though the dropdown says on request...

All are 2BR/1BA duplexes with a full kitchen, dining area, small living room and most have decks. Mine had a table on the deck and a 12 person table in the yard - which was big and private - surrounded by oleanders. The kitchen had a stove/oven, sink, microwave, big refrigerator but no d/w. And the washer/dryer was outside. All the dishes, pots/pans, linens etc. were included.

They do have extra fees for cleaning and and electric above a certain amount - it's in the rates fine print.

No onsite Internet when we were there but in the picture on the "Types" page, the blue building by the water is the Hilton and next door is the Marriott. All the brown roofs in the foreground are PBay resort. My friends used my laptop for free at one of them a couple of times. And there's a couple of other places nearby - there's some kind of convention center complex next door.

It's pretty quiet at night though and a 10min+ drive to restaurants closer to downtown - besides the 1/2 dozen or so in the area. One nice thing is it's about a mile from Centrum Market. Denny's is 5mins. away also...lol. Hooks Hut is a great casual beach bar within walking distance.

There's shore diving at Hooks Hut (onsite diveop/compressor in the bar) the Marriott and the Hilton. Not the best dives on Curacao though - the reef is kind of a long swim out there and Hilton's reef has a lot of junk on it - there's a collapsed pier and someone told me the debris from a remodel was dumped out there. Caribbean Sea Sports is the diveop at the Marriott, one of the Ocean Encounters locations is at the Hilton.

Some of the units are original (70's?) with wooden shutters, others have been refurbed. Mine had wood shutters but a new bathroom and updated kitchen.

My friends stayed in a unit closer to the water (#4?), it was recently completely remodeled (in 2007). We took 3 units all only had A/C in the bedrooms. The property is completely fenced, gated and they have 24hr. security.

PBay is a tourist area so you may do better in town though.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions.

diversteve - Unfortunately Piscadera Bay Resort is definitely out of our budget. $1000/month is the high end of our budget, and especially considering there is no internet, this wont work. Thanks anyway.

Curacao Sunshine - I've emailed Westhill Bungalows to see what their long term rate would be, but they also don't have internet, so probably not an option either. Although it does look nice.

Well, back to the drawing board... perhaps the Antilles are just too expensive for us.

Another one you might try is cocopalmgarden on Bonaire. These are off-water self-catering budget studio's with kitchen. Rates are listed at $66/night, but they might negotiate for a long term rental. They do not have internet in the rooms, but they do have wi-fi at the office/pool area.

Hey GlamourPuss,

Thanks for checking out our accommodations on our website but I have some good news for you - you were looking at the prices for short term / vacation rental, not mid-term, which is within your price range.

Parrot Fish Place is a fully furnished studio, in a GREAT location, and will have internet in the not too distant future, internet service provider willing.... (fingers crossed!) BUT it is pretty popular and does get booked up quickly.

More info on our website here:
Studio: Parrot Fish Place | Welcome to Ocean Apartments, Curacao

Drop me an email if you need more info / have any questions.

All best!
Suzy

The Dive Bus - WELCOME
Welcome to Ocean Apartments, Curacao | Fully furnished beachside accommodation in the Caribbean

We have one two bedroom pueblo that we can go with 1000USD /month for 3 months but you have to pay the water and electricity. The gov controls the price of both and it's expensive! I myself lived in this pueblo and a monthly bill would be about 200NAF with moderate usage.

Hope you have a good time wherever you end up! Let us know if we can help!
Don and Chiara

Back
Top Bottom