Long Island Shore dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Upwelling

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've never done a shore dive--I'm interested in joining a group or individual who has done these dives before, to dive somewhere off long island--is anyone interested in going with me? Does the Wreck Valley Club do any of these? Thanks in advance.

Hi, I lived in Hampton Bays for 2 years and there wasn't any shore dives going onon the east end that I could find. The LDSs out there weren't very helpful about recommending places either. But I did here about some folks diving the far end of the Shinnecock Bridge (Dune Road Side of Shinnecock Bay)
Problem there is if you don't time the tides right your exit point might be ireland.

Not sure about the beach diving possibilities closer to the city.

Thanks--I think people do dive closer to the city, I just don't know where. Hamptons is a bit far for me, I might as well just go to Dutch Springs if I'm going to drive that far.

RIDIVER501:
Hi, I lived in Hampton Bays for 2 years and there wasn't any shore dives going onon the east end that I could find. The LDSs out there weren't very helpful about recommending places either. But I did here about some folks diving the far end of the Shinnecock Bridge (Dune Road Side of Shinnecock Bay)
Problem there is if you don't time the tides right your exit point might be ireland.

Not sure about the beach diving possibilities closer to the city.

I helped with a LIDA clean up at Oak Beach Park in Babalon a few years ago, not deep but it's the site of an old resturant and we found a few sets of stemware and change that got dropped on the outside dance deck. Would be a good place to go if your boat got blown out and you needed to get the gills wet. There must be a beach farther south on that island good for diving because we saw diveshop vans with equipment trailers and students in caravans going by.

Lat. Adjustment:
I helped with a LIDA clean up at Oak Beach Park in Babalon a few years ago, not deep but it's the site of an old resturant and we found a few sets of stemware and change that got dropped on the outside dance deck. Would be a good place to go if your boat got blown out and you needed to get the gills wet. There must be a beach farther south on that island good for diving because we saw diveshop vans with equipment trailers and students in caravans going by.
South shore diving in the Great South Bay (Babylon) stinks. Very shallow murkey water. I have dove secret beach in southhold, ponquogue (sp?) bridge and places along the north shore. Pretty good dive, vis varies. My favorite is the bridge, usually good clear water but must work the slack tides. There are several other places I have not dove yet such as the Shoram power plant, the gwendoline steers (?), a wreck in the ocean off of the shinnecok inlet. It is usually covered over but is exposed as seen from air recently. There are alot, but I have not been able to get to alot of them yet. There is also a prop shaft standing straight up off of gilgo beach thats supposed to have alot around it (prop included)

junko:
I've never done a shore dive--I'm interested in joining a group or individual who has done these dives before, to dive somewhere off long island--is anyone interested in going with me? Does the Wreck Valley Club do any of these? Thanks in advance.

Not sure about shore dives...but there is a good boat out of Captree called the wahoo....they take lots of trips..deep and shallow, and have a very helpful and technically oriented captain and crew.

Good luck!!

The closest shore diving to NYC is Beach 9th Street in Far Rockaway Queens. The site is used for training quite a bit. The beach is between to short jettys and the channel runs out a little further. You should dive the area at slack tide as the current can be strong in the area. Divers who are experienced with the currents in the area can time the currents and drift down to the Atlantic Beach Bridge before the slack and then drift back afterwards.

The water gets about 15-20 feet deep between the jettys and drops to 35-45 in the channel. Be careful as many large boats go through the channel so a dive flag should always be carried especially if you go out past the jettys. Once the water warms up a little more small tropical fish can be found in the area.

Broadways Divers Club which has monthly meetings at Dive Inc. in Rockville Centre is having a night dive there on Tuesday July 6th at 8:00pm I may be there I am not sure yet.

I dove there a few weeks ago with Grunzster and I think that the water temps were about 55-65 degrees, sorry but I do not have my log book or computer with me to check.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom