long exposure underwater photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I forget if it was Rodales or the now-defunct Skin Diver magazine, but about 18 months ago there was an article (possibly by Marty Snyderman but I could be mistaken) on that exact topic - he was using a tripod inside of shipwrecks to capture ambient light images. They were pretty darn cool - very ghostly images.

I'm sure a google search would turn something up.

It's very doable. Several of the pro photographers use tripods underwater. Just make sure you rinse your tripod very well!

Hello,

Make sure you have either an all plastic or an AL tripod. The others will tend to rust. Besides if you get a good season out of a tripod then it's well worth the $80.

A few things to consider.

30 second exposures with single/multiple strobe flashes to freeze frame objects like fish/divers/etc.

Use a monopod, goto wallyworld and get a $0.20 wooden dial.

Use existing structures on the wreck/reef that are mount friendly. i.e. growths of cyano, corraline algae's and some mushroom corals.

Plant your elbows into the sand and use your arms as a bi-pod.

Depending on the situation you may need a neutral density filter.

B/W film is probably better suited for this type of task, I have used tmx in the past.

A good spot meter always helps. Many people will tell you to bracket but that would waste film, learn proper exposure techniques instead.

Ed

Hello,

It's not a scuba photo but I did use a 30 second exposure with a strobe on this image

ghost-ed.jpg

Ed

Steve...Claire Davies aka Sealkie on the boards, takes some excellent B/W photos, usually of sharks. I think she uses film, though, so it may not help you at all with your 5050 but they are still cool to look at!

Check it out here..

Back
Top Bottom