Long Caye at Glover's Atoll, Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

letterboy

I'm the reasonable one
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I have been batting around the idea of going to Belize.

Belize Resorts: Long Caye Caribbean Island Vacations was recommended to me by a friend.

Has anyone been there? I am looking for someplace out of the way, not a whole TON of people with a fairly open schedule, I don't want to be forced to do "group activities" with a group of strangers if that makes sense.

I like the fact that this island does not have many modern amenities . . . I am not afraid of camping, in fact I enjoy camping.

BLUF - looking for anyone who has been to this "resort" (I use that word lightly) and any feedback that you might have or suggestions for comparable "resorts" in that region.

Thanks for your time,
John

I've looked at this place before and talk about getting away from it all!

It looks like you have to buy into one of the 3 packages that all include activities.

If you aren't interested in the 'forced' activities with strangers.....

Aren't you worried that they have a "House of Exile"??

I've looked at this place before and talk about getting away from it all!

It looks like you have to buy into one of the 3 packages that all include activities.

If you aren't interested in the 'forced' activities with strangers.....

Aren't you worried that they have a "House of Exile"??

I like the idea of the long package . . . 9 days.

I am hoping the house of exile is the love shack . . .

If you like camping, have you considered Glover's Atoll Resort? It's the most un-resort place we've ever been. We had a blast there and will be heading back this summer, but it's not for everyone - no elec or running water, and the owners do not set up activities or cater to you, you have to ask. Sometimes people hate the place but it's always seemed like their expectations were off, maybe just a bias on my part since we loved it there and enjoyed the owner family. The snorkeling from shore and diving are excellent - great kayaking, etc. We cooked our own meals but you can buy meals, too. Check it out and let me know if you have questions.

Because its a Small Atoll you really dont have much choice other than whats been mentioned but one thing is for sure Long caye is the best diving in Belize IMHO really fantastic stuff.

Dive Safe

Gaz

There's also Isla Marisol, really beautiful but too expensive for us. There are a few spots on other atolls, too, that would offer excellent diving. Glover's Atoll "Resort" is within our reach price-wise ($200/pp per week for the 40 mile boat trip each way and a cabin on the beach; meals, rentals, dive costs are extra) and we loved living the Robinson Crusoe life for a week - can't wait to head back there.

We visited Long Caye from Isla Marisol just over a week ago and spent two surface intervals on the island. Long Caye is beautiful and I enjoyed the diving around the island. The resort was quite nice, but they didn't let us go to the area were the thatched cabanas were located to view the accommodations. Understandable, the owners wanted to perserve the guests privacy. I found the resort to be slightly more rustic than Isla Marisol that the toilets were outhouse style, but eco friendly and very clean. If you like camping, this is probably upscale. The resort owner was friendly and greeted us a the dock, giving us a briefing of the island. I purchased an Off the Wall Dive Shop/Long Caye t-shirt ... been there and now dove that. I would go for it - post a report when you get back.

I have some topside pictures of LC, but don't know how to put them in a message. Somehow just copy and paste doesn't work. Send me a message, if you want some photos. I'll figure out how to post them - I can't imagine that it would be too hard.

You can't post them here unless they're already on the web somewhere. Go to Photobucket and set up a (free) account there. Post the pictures on that site, then follow the instructions for posting a reference to them here.

Scuba Monster:
We visited Long Caye from Isla Marisol just over a week ago and spent two surface intervals on the island. Long Caye is beautiful and I enjoyed the diving around the island. The resort was quite nice, but they didn't let us go to the area were the thatched cabanas were located to view the accommodations. Understandable, the owners wanted to perserve the guests privacy. I found the resort to be slightly more rustic than Isla Marisol that the toilets were outhouse style, but eco friendly and very clean. If you like camping, this is probably upscale. The resort owner was friendly and greeted us a the dock, giving us a briefing of the island. I purchased an Off the Wall Dive Shop/Long Caye t-shirt ... been there and now dove that. I would go for it - post a report when you get back.
cool, I saw on the website they are "rustic" and there are NO hard shower/latrine facilities . . . kind of excites me . . . :rofl3:

I have some topside pictures of LC, but don't know how to put them in a message. Somehow just copy and paste doesn't work. Send me a message, if you want some photos. I'll figure out how to post them - I can't imagine that it would be too hard.
I am very interested to see what it looks like, I have heard mixed reviews. . . maybe I will just say F-it and go :D

You can't post them here unless they're already on the web somewhere. Go to Photobucket and set up a (free) account there. Post the pictures on that site, then follow the instructions for posting a reference to them here.

Or click the link to the Photogallery in the top just below the advertisment, as some folks can;t view PB from work - like me :depressed:

Back
Top Bottom