Logging my dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WVScubaSteve

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have been using a iphone for years now but I am wanting to take a tablet with me while traveling to log my dives. Anyone have opinions on the pros and cons of an ipad vs a kindle fire? Thx

Just my opinion and what I would do if I had to choose between the two...

Since you already use an iPhone, I'd go with the iPad and use Subsurface to log my dives. There is a free Mac app and depending on the DC you have and with the proper adapter, download the dives directly via cable. I'm not sure but I don't think the bluetooth feature is available on Subsurface with mac products.

But , I there is an Android app that should work with the kindle Fire. So if you go with it, same answer as above. But the bluetooth feature should work with it if you DC has that capability.

And Subsurface is free for each platform.

Of course, there are other fine logging apps out there. I'm sure others can recommend some of them. I use Subsurface and like it very much.

Mac-Dive gets my vote.

Since you already use an iPhone, I'd go with the iPad and use Subsurface to log my dives. There is a free Mac app and depending on the DC you have and with the proper adapter, download the dives directly via cable. I'm not sure but I don't think the bluetooth feature is available on Subsurface with mac products.

But , I there is an Android app that should work with the kindle Fire. So if you go with it, same answer as above. But the bluetooth feature should work with it if you DC has that capability.

And Subsurface is free for each platform.

Of course, there are other fine logging apps out there. I'm sure others can recommend some of them. I use Subsurface and like it very much.
I forgot to mention that I have Amazon Prime that I have free movies and music, so would I be better off with a kindle or I guess I could I just use an Ipad to log into my Prime Account?

That I can't answer for you. Can you log in with our iPhone? If so, I'd say you can probably sign in with an iPad as well, but I couldn't say for sure. Hopefully, someone else can answer that question.

Mac Dive is awesome, and the developer is terrific. He's very responsive with updates and patches.

The iOS version of Subsurface can directly communicate with Bluetooth Low Energy dive computers (in particular OSTC, Mars, Scubapro, Shearwater, and Suunto) but not Bluetooth classic or USB.

Currently, the iPad version is essentially the same as iPhone and somewhat limited in features compared to the full desktop version.

Since you already have an iPhone, I'd go with the iPad just to keep things consistent. I use the Kindle app all the time on both.

I ee e
The iOS version of Subsurface can directly communicate with Bluetooth Low Energy dive computers (in particular OSTC, Mars, Scubapro, Shearwater, and Suunto) but not Bluetooth classic or USB.

Currently, the iPad version is essentially the same as iPhone and somewhat limited in features compared to the full desktop version

Danke

Back
Top Bottom