Loggerhead eats oil rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

louisianadiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico are well known as fish habitat, but they also serve sponges to loggerhead turtles. This monster (over 200 lbs, I'm sure) was going over the pilings like corn on the cob:

ca7bcd30.jpg

and seemed to be happy with the results:

caebdd30.jpg

Clay

Those are such nice pictures. If you don't mind, there's a turtle researcher who may be interested in seeing those. I don't know how common it is for people to photograph turtles eating, but she might not see it too often.

Here's her contact info:

Emma Hickerson
Research & Permits Coordinator, Flower Garden Banks National Marine Sanctuary
(409) 621-5151, ext. 111
emma.hickerson@noaa.gov

Tell her that Archie from Mary Wicksten's lab referred you.

Sooooooo Cool.....I wonder did you have the ability to shoot video???

archman:
Those are such nice pictures. If you don't mind, there's a turtle researcher who may be interested in seeing those. I don't know how common it is for people to photograph turtles eating, but she might not see it too often.

Here's her contact info:

Emma Hickerson
Research & Permits Coordinator, Flower Garden Banks National Marine Sanctuary
(409) 621-5151, ext. 111
emma.hickerson@noaa.gov

Tell her that Archie from Mary Wicksten's lab referred you.

Actually, I've seen many.........tell your reseacher to hit Roatan........they love the reef there........

BTW La. diver, great pics........what rig were you diving???...

diver 85:
Actually, I've seen many.........tell your reseacher to hit Roatan........they love the reef there........

I think she'd be more interested in the Gulf of Mexico, where her research lies. Particularly with feeding associated with an oil rig. Pics like that can show direct support for the "Rigs to Reefs" programs.

Thanks all for the kudos.

Archman: I know Emma. In fact, she was on the Spree while we were on the Fling earlier this week. Where is Mary Wicksten's lab? I might have contacted her once about the "lightbulb anemones" on the rigs.

Diver 85: The rig was High Island 376-A--a smallish platform about 5 miles from the East Bank and out of the sanctuary. Lots going on there, including a school of little spinner sharks that buzzed us to and from the rig.

louisianadiver:
Thanks all for the kudos.

Archman: I know Emma. In fact, she was on the Spree while we were on the Fling earlier this week. Where is Mary Wicksten's lab? I might have contacted her once about the "lightbulb anemones" on the rigs.

Diver 85: The rig was High Island 376-A--a smallish platform about 5 miles from the East Bank and out of the sanctuary. Lots going on there, including a school of little spinner sharks that buzzed us to and from the rig.

thought it was (close to)there, private boat or commercial pay(Fling/Spree)............good shots..did you get any video??.....

Back
Top Bottom