Log Books

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CMOST

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have an Oceanic PP2, but want a written history of my dives. The way computers crash I could lose all the info. Any thoughts as to the best log book out there and where to get one!

... The way computers crash I could lose all the info. Any thoughts as to the best log book out there and where to get one!

First of all you should be backing up your PC so that if/when it crashes you can simply restores to another hard drive.

The second option is to simply copy the .dlg file (Access Database that contains your downloaded logs) to a CD-ROM. The OceanLog application offers to back up the database whenever any updates are applied.

You could also print the logs on paper using the OceanLog software.

Another option is that you could install the freeware product CutePdf. CutePdf installs a dummy printer on your PC. When you print to that printer is creates an exact replica of the printed output in Adobe acrobat format (*.pdf). This file can then be printed from any PC or Mac that has the free Adobe Acrobat Reader software (available for both PC & Mac). You could then save the pdf files to a CD-ROM.

Another option is to get an actual logbook and record all your dives immediately after doing them. You can use your comp for seeing the actual profile but I sold my download cable as it became a pain in the butt to wait until I had time to download them. And it's much easier to make those little notes as to vis, temp, life or features seen and noted. And I don't worry about losing them if the comp crashes. And those times when I'd like to have a buddy sign off on a dive is easier and I'm not trying to clean magic marker off my computer screen.

I keep a paper log in real time, (and that's what I present to dive ops if asked) but I also keep my computer based log (that came with my dive computer which is an Aeris) I also upload my dive reports to the computer based log since if I tried to hand write them no one would ever be able to read them.. I usually just make notes on the paper based log which is jsut whatever my dive shop has in stock.

I have been using the PADI Deluxe pages. When I finished them, I switched to the PADI Diver's Log (the red book). Compact and contains all the info needed. Although I have the Suunto D6 I just don't download. Little old fashion.

Another option is DiveRecord.com. This is an online log book that also allows you to download all of the data to a spreadsheet for backup.

I keep a waterproof paper logbook using a thin Sharpie with the basics hand recorded off of my wrist computer. I add pressure in/out and info about my exposure protection and equipment. I then enter it into my DiveRecord.com logbook when I have a chance and download an updated copy in Excel for backup.

I have an Oceanic PP2, but want a written history of my dives. The way computers crash I could lose all the info. Any thoughts as to the best log book out there and where to get one!

The "best" logbook is the one that has room for you to record what is important to you. Decide exactly what it is you want to record then begin researching the logbook resources mentioned to see which one matches what you want. There's no reason for you to settle for one that's "close enough". You can take elements from the ones you like and make your own logbook with a little Excel or even Powerpoint knowledge.

Happy hunting!
Ber :lilbunny:

I haven't bought the cable for download yet. You would have thought it should come with the comp. But no. More money. If I had the cable I would print what they provide. Maybe I'll start designing my own with the info I need. Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom