Log Book

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boogeywoogey

Contributor
Reaction score
At what dive do you stop WRITING??

I logged about 2oo dives on slates and books, the next 250 on a suunto that I religiously wrote up, the next few without, the most recent on a new comp...

I have about 599 dives of which 700 are not logged....

Is this the dive INSTRUCTOR SYNDROME...for each year a dive instructor HAS lived the multiply and arrive at "AT LEAST 8000 dives per year"...it does I know....chuckle my Cayman Ocean Frontiers pants off.

Boogey

I don't write anything other than the basics, unless I'm on vacation. I write the date, depth, temps and time and that's about it.

On vacation I'm like a newbie.

I do not log. Why would one log if you don't keep a diary, car records or have it together enough to get the kid's baby books done? Life moves too fast. Just not on my radar. My computer logs the info. I hardly ever look at the info unless there is a question. Still, I am amazed the number of people who do log.

I log them all. No dive is over until it's logged. If they aren't written down, they didn't happen. Al, many of them I log exactly the way you do, but some inspire me to write.

What does this:

boogeywoogey:
Is this the dive INSTRUCTOR SYNDROME...for each year a dive instructor HAS lived the multiply and arrive at "AT LEAST 8000 dives per year"...it does I know....chuckle my Cayman Ocean Frontiers pants off.

mean?

I log every dive (I've only got 60-some-odd). Sometimes minimally, sometimes in great detail. I have had occasion to go to my log book to remind myself how much weight I need in a configuration I haven't used in a while, or where we saw the dolphins.
Eventually I'll probably stop logging quarry dives and other "just for practice" dives unless I particularly wanted to note something.
But basically, I'll stop logging when I stop learning! (and at this point I learn something on just about every dive).

Deborah

What's a log?

I collect some stuff like route information and site descriptions and I do make a note of when I go diving but no details.... that's not really a divelog in any recognisable form. The only thing you could get out of it is numbers of dives. But even that number has lost any relevance.

R..

boogeywoogey:
At what dive do you stop WRITING??
When it doesn't serve any purpose. Duh.

My dives are scattered among many different areas and for me it's useful to have some notes on different dive charters, dive sites, hotels, etc. in case I decide to return. OTOH, by the 30th dive at a local divesite there usually isn't much for me to write down (although even there, it's sometimes useful to look back at things like temperature at different times of the year).

A good rule is to pay attention to what you wished you had written down about earlier dives, and jot that down in the future. In my case, the most useful tidbits tend to be non-traditional items such as when different dive charters leave and return and comments about the boats. It's MY log, so I choose what gets logged.

I'm up to 50 and still logging but I have skipped a couple. Why? because they weren't important. Same quarry, same set up, nothing new good enough to log. I figure that once I hit 100 I will flip a coin unless it is a special dive and then it will be logged.

I am up to 72 and still logging - and tallying total bottom time.

Sometimes there is a lot of detail and sometimes not. The former generally happens when I log soon after the dive and the latter more often than not.

I enjoy logging as I spend some time analysing my dive, for example SAC rate, average depth, reviewing alarms (!). I also get to "save" the dive in my memory for posterity, as writing about it forces it in. I can always refer back to it later and re-live the dive. Otherwise, I find that the dives tend to melt into one big "unidive".

When did I see what and how? Did I dive responsibly? Was I a good buddy? Did I make a mistake that I can learn from?

These are the kind of things I like to take away from a dive because I am constantly learning.

Not knocking those that don't log - I just have a short term memory like a proverbial sieve.

I hope I never stop logging my dives - my logs are just too much fun to read.

Cheers,

Andrew

Back
Top Bottom