locline for inon strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scotttyd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have an inon z240 - is there a way of using the locline arms for the strobe vs the ultralight style?

Scotttyd, sorry for my curiosity but it may be useful to know what you have already and what you would like to do...
You have a beautiful, erconomic and expensive ball mount adapter.
Why you would like to mount a ugly and unflexible loc-line arm on top of that?
To go with a ball joint aluminium arm you will need:
2 clamps, 1 arm segment and 1 ball arm to inon Z adapter.
To go with the loc-line arm you will need:
1 Ball arm to loc-lin adapter (if that exist), 1 loc-line arm, one loc-line end piece and one Inon Z adapter.
I guess that the price differenc wont be so big.

Consider also that the loc-line arm need quite a bit of power to bend and this works best when the arm is directly mounted on the tray. If you have to use a clamp to attach the loc-line adapter to your ball head on the handle it may be complicated to bend the loc-line arm as the ball arm joint may slip.

that replaces the inon adapter I assume?
Maybe it will replace the adapter but this depends what type of adaper you have already (if so).

Chris

Scotty, not sure what you are asking...do you want to mount an Inon onto a Loc-Line arm? If so and your Inon mounts like my D180 the mount is simple. My D180 has a simple 1/4 x 20 nut captured in the strobe as the mount. If that is how yours mounts, you can use the same mount I do. I use a Loc-Line 69563 base mount and glue a 1/4 x20 SS bolt into the hole. The bolt is cut to length and a rubber washer is installed between the strobe and the base mount. I do a couple of other steps to secure the bolt better but you get the idea. Loc-Line 69563 Fixed Mount

I am going to be around all day tomorrow, call me and we can likely cook up something in the shop if you like or at least I can get an idea of what you need.

I am confused also as to what you have and what you are doing, a Locline is not a ball head--is it?

N

Thanks guys, this is what I was thinking. Currently I have a set of cheaper ultralite style arms. They works great for setting up wideangle/landscape shots. What I do not like about them is it is hard to find the sweet spot where it is loose enough to easily position the strobe but tight enough to hold its position. For most of what I do, it is not that big of a deal, but when dealing with macro shots, and trying to position the strobe if I have a tight shot, I am thinking the flexarm style would be beneficial. Much easier to position exactly where needed.

I know when I had my af35 strobe that used the flexarm, I could position the strobe exactly where it was needed - although I had to be more precise because the coverage angle was much smaller, I would often have part of my picture exposed correctly, and part underexposed because the strobe did not provide enough coverage unless it was perfectly centered.

Now, as far as adding a flexarm, I was debating if I should just attach it directly to my current tray (which is possible) or according to Dave at Backscatter, if I wanted to attach it to a handle like I have (maybe a stupid idea, not sure if it would be beneficial or not, I was thinking that would allow a larger variety of strobe positionings) I would have to buy a ultralight handle because their ball head screws off, then I could attach the loc line directly to the handle.

Herman, thanks for the offer, but I have to finish my backyard project tomorrow. Like mentioned, Dave and backscatter has shown me exactly what is needed if I go that route.

If you prefer the loc-lite arm over a ball joint then you should attach the flexarm directly to the tray and as Herman mentioned there is no problem to do that. You can build your own tray out of a flat bar of stainless steel (as i did) or of thicker aluminium, screw the adapter Herman mentioned on, or get the Fantasea removable loc-arm shoe Optical Ocean Flange to Tray Base Mount Adapter - Optical Ocean Sales Underwater Photo - 800-359-1295! to remove the arms easy from the tray (as i did).

The system with ball joint and loc-lite arm mix is (if feasible) from my point of view not a good idea as you still need a clamp on the handle and contradict your need of a simple and sturdy set-up.

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom