Locals to Poor for PADI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

durian

Reaction score
I often dive in Thailand and am sometimes bothered when I think about the disparities. Of course we could think about a dive costs being equivalent to a locals monthly wage but that is not a road I want to go down now. My real question is how difficult it must be for a local in Thailand or the Philippines to get certified with PADI or another agency. I am sure if they work for a diveshop there may be a break for them, but that is not always the case. I am not trying to stir up many guilt here just want to know if there is some scholarship fund or form of help. I think locals should be able to get certified at a reduced cost. Well I may be wrong and would like some feedack on this. thanks

durian:
My real question is how difficult it must be for a local in Thailand or the Philippines to get certified with PADI or another agency. I am sure if they work for a diveshop there may be a break for them, but that is not always the case. I am not trying to stir up many guilt here just want to know if there is some scholarship fund or form of help. I think locals should be able to get certified at a reduced cost. Well I may be wrong and would like some feedack on this. thanks

a shop i know here has a payment plan, kinda like pay as you go scheme, just remember to settle up prior to open water (prolly due to added cost of boat trip, tank rental through another operator, etc). and if it takes you a while to get to open water, keep yourself current with relatively cheap pool dives (assuming DM's are available).

for the most part scuba is relatively affordable for locals if they're willing to trade say that upper-mid range cellphone for dive lessons and the monthly cellphone and clubbing for dive day trips.

in relative terms, scuba is still not as cheap as say badminton or ping pong, but is competitive with golf, archery, eating out everyday, or vacations outside of the country.

there are clubs that occasionally get gov sponsorship (sports ministry) but those are very few. so, for the most part, if you do want to get into diving or are curios, there are very affordable ways to experience it (pool, sometimes for as little as the pool entry fee), and if you are into it, a wee bit of belt tightening e.g. roadside hawker stall for drinks Vs starbucks, and you can do it.

hope this helps answer your question.

oh, if you want equipment, rental is viable. getting your own, well, visit grandma, then. ask for an advance on that trust fund :)

Sounds like you have a small case of "Affluenza". Just do whats right in your heart if you want to help..............

durian:
I think locals should be able to get certified at a reduced cost. Well I may be wrong and would like some feedack on this. thanks

I think the matter of having enough to eat, and not to get blown up or shot on your way to work would be somewhat of a more realistic endeavor.

BTW, I'm a "local", and I didn't get certified at a reduced cost.

Maybe PADI could take a dollar everytime they make money from a person, and put it in a fund for the less fortunate. It would put PADI in a better light.

I'm not even sure if PADI doesn't already have something in place. JMO

MechDiver:
BTW, I'm a "local", and I didn't get certified at a reduced cost.

"local" where?!

The original point was valid, esp in thailand you see loads of foreigners (myself included) going out there, throwing money around, enjoying the diving and then complaining that the Thais dont look after their marine habitats because they dont appreciate them enough.... Funny that, anyone on here really appreciate something they've never seen and have no concept of?

On another point, maybe all divers should pay a local tax to dive, that money could be used for conservation and for uses such as subsidising local participation in diving. It works in the thai national marine parks and there's no reason why it couldn't be extended to all dive operations.

DORSETBOY:
"local" where?

Zoooooom. Right over the top of the ladder.

You'll have to excuse me if I don't agree that the right to scuba dive is right up there with life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

The cost of gear would be a barrier more so than the course. PADI take the wholesale cost of the manual $25-30 and about $25 per open water certification the rest goes to the shop and instructor. I have taught for free several times in Asia to help locals setup dive businesses all have closed up (or been forced out by other locals) and gone to work for someone else, ce la vie.

DORSETBOY:
On another point, maybe all divers should pay a local tax to dive, that money could be used for conservation and for uses such as subsidising local participation in diving. It works in the thai national marine parks and there's no reason why it couldn't be extended to all dive operations.

Here in Cancun, we have

$2 USD daily entry fee into the national park where all the dive sites are located

Rates nearly half price for locals

financing (upto a year) for employees, discounted directly from their paycheck.

Six monts interest free credit card payments from local bank.

pay as you go scheme (PADI OW course divided into 8 payments)

lots of ideas.

How about the locals could just start their own cert agency and charge rates that are affordable to them? The cost of most everything is somewhat proportional to local incomes-if it was too expensive for the locals to live there than no one would be working the dive boats either. After all, a pack of smokes is $4.00 (apx) in the US. I bet the Thai's and Mexicans aren't paying that much. Same would apply to diving, if the locals chose to do so. Who is PADI (or any other self serving training agency) to set costs and deny access to the sport? Is there anywhere in the world that the government requires some sort of "official" training (besides Quebec)?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom