Local News

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

15 murders this year. Another last night.
Cozumel is becoming Miami. Every morning on the local news…another shooting/killing. When I go to Cozumel this winter I will take the same precautions that I take when I go to Miami.:oops:

Quiet the over exageration there wouldn't you say? 15 in one year is a far cry from one everyday...... and other than I think two of them, they were all tied to the drug trade so how does that effect the everyday Joe? It doesn't.

Your only worry should be petty theft because that does happen a lot - petty crimes of oppurtunity. Never leave anything unattended - never leave anything visible even in a locked car.

Yikes, if this trend continues, it will be almost half the murder rate of Akron and Cleveland where I am traveling from. My two week vacation is almost as dangerous as one week working to earn the money to come here.

Cozumel is around 110 to 120K (guestimate)
The 2020 INEGI (federal) census counted 44,415 men and 44,221 women for a total island population of 88,626. People tend to overestimate the island's population. By the official, federal and state, door-to-door headcounts over the years, it has never been as much as 100,000.

I think comparing Cozumel's per-capita murders with other, much larger cities is worthless. You need to compare Cozumel's murder rate with the murder rates of cities that have a similar population to get a valid comparison.

I also think the idea that "it is only happening to drug dealers" is ignoring the possibility of innocent bystanders eventually being wounded or killed by these wild sprays of bullets. These aren't experienced hitmen putting a gun to the back of the head of a target. These kids tend to empty their firearms completely, with only a few bullets actually hitting the target; the rest go wild.

Time of day and distance from the plaza are not factors in where these assassinations took place. They happen during the day as well as the night, and inside the Centro and outside the Centro. Hemmingway on the Malecon, Chedraui by the police station, Tentaciones Restaurant on 15th, are just a few that come to mind that happened inside the Centro, and two fo those were during the day.

Reactions: MMM
The 2020 INEGI (federal) census counted 44,415 men and 44,221 women for a total island population of 88,626. People tend to overestimate the island's population. By the official, federal and state, door-to-door headcounts over the years, it has never been as much as 100,000.

I think comparing Cozumel's per-capita murders with other, much larger cities is worthless. You need to compare Cozumel's murder rate with the murder rates of cities that have a similar population to get a valid comparison.

I also think the idea that "it is only happening to drug dealers" is ignoring the possibility of innocent bystanders eventually being wounded or killed by these wild sprays of bullets. These aren't experienced hitmen putting a gun to the back of the head of a target. These kids tend to empty their firearms completely, with only a few bullets actually hitting the target; the rest go wild.

Time of day and distance from the plaza are not factors in where these assassinations took place. They happen during the day as well as the night, and inside the Centro and outside the Centro. Hemmingway on the Malecon, Chedraui by the police station, Tentaciones Restaurant on 15th, are just a few that come to mind that happened inside the Centro, and two fo those were during the day.
You need to include tourist influx as well. How many people are on the island during the day with 8-10 cruise ships in? That is why there is cartel interest in the island.

You need to include tourist influx as well. How many people are on the island during the day with 8-10 cruise ships in? That is why there is cartel interest in the island.
Cozumel has less than 12,000 tourists a day, including those 3 million this year arriving from cruise ships, the ones arriving on the ferries, and the ones arriving by air. Something like 50% of the cruise ship passengers stays on the ship, within the cruise ship pier enclave, or on excursions off of the island.

Cozumel has less than 12,000 tourists a day, including those 3 million this year arriving from cruise ships, the ones arriving on the ferries, and the ones arriving by air. Something like 50% of the cruise ship passengers stays on the ship, within the cruise ship pier enclave, or on excursions off of the island.
88,216 + 12,000 = 100,216.

Not disagreeing with you completely but Cancun has how many known about killings and how many tourists have been caught in crossfier? I remember Turtle Beach and there were a few down in Tulum....

Not saying this doesn't effect us but let's not let it effect us more by over playing it....

88,216 + 12,000 = 100,216.

3,000,000 cruise ship passengers less the 50% not wandering around the island equals 1,500,000 cruise tourists a year wandering around like cows. Those 1,500,000 plus the others arriving by ferry and plane still don't make 12,000 a day. Besides, I'll bet there are more angels on the head of a pin than that.

Not disagreeing with you completely but Cancun has how many known about killings and how many tourists have been caught in crossfier? I remember Turtle Beach and there were a few down in Tulum....

Not saying this doesn't effect us but let's not let it effect us more by over playing it....

There have been several tourists wounded by stray bullets on the mainland. One was inside an all-inclusive. I can't remember if any of them died, but I really don't follow what happens in Cancun, Tulum, and Playa much.

Are you saying that writing online about the facts about the island's current wave of assassinations is overplaying it? Or do you mean that the mention of it will be bad for business? If people want to read only sugary posts on sites that only print "good news" and not any "bad news," there is always Cozumel4You.

Are you saying that writing online about the facts about the island's current wave of assassinations is overplaying it?

I think insuating that tourists are in grave danger is a bad thing for tourism. That is my opinion. The odds of a tourist getting in the middle of something is very very low.

I think the government here needs to grow up and put their big boy pants on and deal with this but we all know that corruption and payments are the norm, change in leadership only means change in name of who is getting paid. Maybe they should go back to letting PP kick in doors, collect how he pleases and manage the underworld, there was more control then...... Shutting this island down and searching, scanning or screening everything that comes here is pretty simple but they won't do that because they are part of it. My last trip from Playa to Cozumel was nada, zero security and this was two weeks ago. Or maybe the locals and local business owners should rise up and form their own security control at the ferry terminals, the bullets and drugs will eventually run out.....

What happened to Codo Rojo and all the other Facebook informists? When someone twisted their ankle we would have live on the scene video but not anymore!!!

Back
Top Bottom