local diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

broncrider

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was just wondering if anybody has ever been diving in local lakes around north central texas. like lake weatherford, mineral wells, palo pinto, bridgeport or any other places not too far. if anyone has any info like where to dive, what viz is like and any other info i would appreciate it.

Jay

I was just wondering if anybody has ever been diving in local lakes around north central texas. like lake weatherford, mineral wells, palo pinto, bridgeport or any other places not too far. if anyone has any info like where to dive, what viz is like and any other info i would appreciate it.

Jay

Jay.... I persl. have not dove any of the listed lakes....but my guess is they are stained/shallow...several are regularly fished.....probably offering little good diving.

Jay

I have never done scuba in those lakes ( know peps who have and they say don't)
I've been swimming and boating on all of them and can understand why they say that.
Lake Brownwood is maybe something to do. They have a dive shop in Brownwood.
I was at the lake last month. I did no diving but the water was not to bad looking actually. When I say "not to bad" it means something very different to most other folks so don't go on my word alone.
PK is the best bet in that area you are talking about.

You should try a adventure expedition to "Sunshine Lake" near Weatherford. I used to take my GF parking out there. I was into a different sorta divin' back then :wink:

I've been swimming and boating on all of them and can understand why they say that.
I was at the lake last month. I did no diving but the water was not to bad looking actually. When I say "not to bad" it means something very different to most other folks so don't go on my word alone.

You should try a adventure expedition to "Sunshine Lake" near Weatherford. I used to take my GF parking out there. I was into a different sorta divin' back then :wink:

HEYHEYHEY!!!!! Let's keep it clean...

HEYHEYHEY!!!!! Let's keep it clean...

ZzzKing how dare you :shakehead: Such Slander !!

They had a spring board there back in the 70's but your post does bring to mind another popular reason I enjoyed going to that little lake :lotsalove:

Timeliner, and I thought I knew you. Here you go, confessing to parking at the lake. Why, everyone knows that only foos did that kinda stuff, there might have been an ax murderer out there! Of course, he might have had some bud light...

hey Timeliner,

when was the last time you wer at sunshine lake? they drained it several years ago and ruined the viz when they let it fill back up. years ago it was clear but now it ain't any better than any other lake around here. i sure wish they would open squaw creek back up the the public.

Jay

a) Lake Mineral Wells is called that for a reason...all the MINERALS (including chalk) in the water. I haven't dived there, but I snorkeled it a bit. Zero vis.
b) It's not just the "security issues" that prevent diving at Squaw Creek. The agricultural runoff isn't helping the vis any.

Pretty much, "If it's diveable, it gets dived. If folks don't dive it, there's a reason why."
At least, that seems to be the motto.

hey Timeliner,

when was the last time you wer at sunshine lake? they drained it several years ago and ruined the viz when they let it fill back up.

Jay

Oh........ 1984 probably.

I think the LDS in Brownwood closed. We go there often to visit my honey's parents and I seem to remember seeing the shop unoccupied.

Back
Top Bottom